Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding wifi remote and leased IP

Here's a question for the Roku network experts in the room.

I've been having a lot of headaches with Roku streaming sticks in my living room. I had one for a few months that didn't give me any issues, and then the point anywhere remote started to fail to connect and no amount of troubleshooting seemed to keep them paired for more than 24 hours.

I replaced that stick with a newer model, and similarly have not had any issues for weeks, but today the remote randomly lost pairing.

I hadn't previously tried assigning the Roku to a static IP address in my router, so I'm trying that now to see if that helps in general or at all (I don't see how it could hurt), my question is this:

I see that the Roku Stick AND the Roku Remote both have their own MAC addresses, but the Roku Remote's MAC address doesn't show up at all in my home network/router.

Does the Roku Remote connect to my actual home network, or does it just use a wi-fi signal to connect to the streaming stick?

If I'm assigning the stick a static IP address, do I need to assign the same one to the remote? A different one to the remote? Do I need to put the remote's MAC address into my network's leased IP table at all? (I assume no, but I want to be sure).

Also, does a Roku remote typically lose connection if/when the router channel changes via it's automatic channel changing feature? I haven't assigned my router a permanent wireless channel, and I don't necessarily want to since I live in a building with a lot of router cross-talk.

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Roku Stick 3600RW
Current software 8.1.0 build 4145-24
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Question regarding wifi remote and leased IP

The remote does not connect to your Wi-FI at all. It uses Wi-Fi direct and connects directly to the Roku. It could possibly be the Router changing channels is the issue, Roku only has one radio, so the frequency for the Wi-Fi direct and Wi-Fi channel on your router would be identical. I find it best to put a static channel in because some devices have trouble with the auto setting. Rokus seem to be one of the devices based on previous forum posts.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos

Okay. I’ll set my router to a static wi fi channel and see if that helps.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos
mmr61
Level 7

"FlyingBurrito76" wrote:
Okay. I’ll set my router to a static wi fi channel and see if that helps.

Sounds like you're experiencing the same sorts of problems I've been having with my SS+ (discussed here).  I've moved to a fixed wi-fi channel and am hoping that does the trick.
0 Kudos

Ugh. I tried setting my router to static channels on both 2.4 and 5 GHz and within an hour it crashed. I live in a condo and there are way too many other routers in close proximity so I unfortunately need to keep my router’s auto channel change feature on.

I had an older refurbished streaming stick in my living room that was fine for about 8 months and then suddenly started to lose connection with the remote on a nightly basis.

This new one that I replaced it with only lost connection ONCE before I freaked out and started looking for a solution.

My fingers are crossed that what I experienced was just a temporary fluke.

I did put the Roku Stick on a permanently leased IP address in my modem, so, hopefully that keeps it away from any kind of IP assignment issues.

I have a Roku Stick in my bedroom that is about a year old has never lost connection with the remote, ever.

This stuff is really frustrating. I wish there was some better way to troubleshoot the cause.
Roku Stick 3600RW
0 Kudos
mmr61
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
The remote does not connect to your Wi-FI at all. It uses Wi-Fi direct and connects directly to the Roku. It could possibly be the Router changing channels is the issue, Roku only has one radio, so the frequency for the Wi-Fi direct and Wi-Fi channel on your router would be identical. I find it best to put a static channel in because some devices have trouble with the auto setting. Rokus seem to be one of the devices based on previous forum posts.

Thanks a lot for this info, trekkeriii. I was wondering how the remote and the device communicated as I never see my remote's MAC address on my wi-fi network.  Wi-fi Direct explains that and now I understand why my phone-based remote app has always worked flawlessly while the remote hasn't.  I wish Roku did a better job of explaining that in their remote troubleshooting procedure and why going to a fixed wi-fi channel might help.
0 Kudos