Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ad34754932
Streaming Star

Protocol Question Controlling Volume

Jump to solution

I just hooked up a Vizio SoundBar to my friend's Vizio TV via Optical.   The TV is connected to a Roku Ultra via eARC.   Guess what?   The Roku remote controls volume level on the Vizio SoundBar!   How is this done?  I am assuming there is a new protocol to send control codes over TOSLInk.   Let's discuss...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Protocol Question Controlling Volume

Jump to solution

Vizio soundbars respond to Vizio tv commands, so if the roku tv had the vizio tv programmed in, it too would control the vizio soundbar. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Vizio soundbars respond to Vizio tv commands, so if the roku tv had the vizio tv programmed in, it too would control the vizio soundbar. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
ad34754932
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Your reply is a bit unclear.  You mention no connection protocol.   My guess is Vizio has added volume and mute commands to the optical TOSLink standard.  

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No, they haven't, optical imput has nothng to do what IR commands the front of the vizio soundbar accepts. It could have nothing connected to the soundbar at all, just power, and the vizio tv commands would still be accepted, its just how vizio makes the components work together.  Other tv brands who use the same IR commands as vizio tv's like Goldstar, LG, RCA/Proscan, their remotes would control the vizio soundbar as well. Even Roku tv brands like Hisense and Sharp use the same vizio volume commands. 

Edmund

0 Kudos