Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update Kristina, I appreciate it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This thread is new enough that I thought I would add my 2 cents here.

I have the separate what I believe is called roku altra or ultimate with its own remote control that has the headphone Jack built into it.

This unit is separate and not a roku television. When I plug headphones into the Jack on the remote control it acts like it's working; it even gives me an on screen volume screen but it doesn't give me any sound. I haven't tried the app yet on my phone; I will do that later. Admittedly this is something I haven't tried in till recently. 

Any input would be great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

I would try re-pairing the remote to the ultra see if that helps. With new batteries in too. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This may be redundant, but there are so many different models, remotes, apps, etc. flying around here, I thought I'd post my own specific issue.

I have a Roku Premier+ I bought back in 2017.  I frequently use private listening, utilizing the output jack on the remote.  Up until a week ago, I had very few problems with private listening.  However, now I can barely make it through five minutes of programming without the audio popping and distorting, often beyond comprehension.  What changed?

Yes, I checked/replaced batteries.  Yes, I checked my internet connection and restarted my modem/router.  Yes, I did a factory reset on the Roku.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@jstolarick85  Thanks for the note here. There haven't been any updates or changes recently that would suddenly affect that feature on your device. It's possible that your remote is wearing out with age or use, but it's hard to say. A couple things to try: 

1. Replace the batteries in your remote with new ones. Then, re-pair your remote to your device from Settings>Remotes and devices.

2. Try using a different pair of headphones to see if the same issue occurs. 

If those steps aren't helping resolve the issue, there are a couple options you can take from there: 

1. Use private listening via the free Roku mobile app. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

2. Purchase a replacement 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' which is compatible with your model of Roku device, and offers private listening. You can view this in our accessories store here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

So why is roku uktra sold with a remote with headphone jack of it doesn't work because the tv wasn't purchased with roku remote? This seems like a scam. I literally bought the ultra just for the headphone jack for private listening because my husband goes to bed a few hours before me but likes to have me in bed still. After reading this it sounds like my Sharp tv won't even be abke to be paired with it and I spent about $50 more than I needed to because it wouldn't have worked anyway even though it is the remote that came with the roku. Am I understanding it correctly? I have to just use my phone which I could have done with a lower costing roku product and saved a good amount of money?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

The roku remote with headphone jack will only work with the roku as the source, it being netflix, Amazon prime, or whatever. It won't work if the source is another device plugged into the tv. As long as you're watching something through the roku ultra, the headphone jack should work fine. 

Edmund
0 Kudos