Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
7039alb
Level 7

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

Same here.  It worked fine at one time....then recently won't work.  I don't know what the problem is.

0 Kudos
katygh
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been using private listening via the app on android for a year now and had no issues until recently when it won't connect to audio for certain channels only (disney +, amazon prime) it even glitches on youtube. I have used different headphones, turned everything on and off again and it isn't changing anything. How can I fix this??

Momz
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've been listening via Private Listening on my remote to my Roku3 for a few years just fine. I am slightly hard-of-hearing so this allows me to enjoy programs on the Roku3 that I would not really be able to listen to otherwise.  In the last few weeks the sound in Private Listening cuts out or is distorted to the point that I cannot listen to a program. I've changed the batteries several times. I've unplugged and then restarted the Roku3. I have an enhanced remote. The remote is typically about six feet away from the Roku3 unit.  I've re-paired the remote with the Roku3. I've rebooted the router. I've tried other headphones on the remote (same problem occurs) and tried the Roku earbuds on other devices (no problems then).  I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember that there was a system software update that happened at about the same time as I started having trouble with the sound on Private through the remote.

I do not have a smartphone so I can't use an "ap" to get around this. This occurs when there are no other devices in our home using the internet. Is there an actual "fix" for this problem? I cannot spend $100 for a brand new unit that has the Private Listening function, so I need to be able to make this one work.

(One other thing I have noticed - sometimes when I have the earbuds plugged in there is still a slight bit of the audio that is still coming through the speakers. This doesn't happen all the time.)

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
d_brown94
Level 7

Jump to solution

EXACT same issue for me. With Disney+ it happens, and as we speak, I am using Prime Video but I am getting no audio from the mobile app Private Listening.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Momz 

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the Roku 3 is an older Roku device. It's possible that the remote may simply be on its way out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Momz
Level 7

Jump to solution

Was able to get Verizon Fios to change the channel from 1 to 6 on the router. It's working fine now.

0 Kudos
JMiller
Level 7

Jump to solution

My private listening through the Roku app on my phone has stopped working. Nothing has changed on my end; it worked fine last week. My headphone work fine with the Music app on my phone. I have read through the Roku help articles and the responses on this forum. I have restarted the app, my phone, and “forgot this device” and re-recognized it. I noticed there was an update to the app 2 days ago. I have a Roku Premier and am running the app on iOS 14.2.1. Please advise. 

0 Kudos
pntharp
Level 7

Jump to solution

Private listening was not working with the app on my phone. Upon the suggestion of someone on this forum, I investigated what channel (1, 6, or 11) my 2.4 GHz network was using. I had left it on the default, 6, and so, apparently, had all of my neighbors. Channel 11 was lightly used and when I switched the 2.4 GHz network to that channel, private listening on my phone app started working. For details about changing channels, check out https://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chan...

0 Kudos
beckyricha
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue and it just started. my roku ultra had always worked fine but now won't work with private listening. troubleshooting steps do not work.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@beckyricha 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? How are you using the private listening feature? Are you using a physical remote or using the Roku moble app? What troubleshooting steps have you tried to resolve the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos