Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Private listening not working

Jump to solution

Is something going on with Roku private listening at the moment? I have a premier plus that has always worked fine and now private listening isn't working on the remote or the app, even though it says private listening enabled. I've also tried another set of headphones and got the same result. Was anyone else having this problem currently?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Private listening not working

Jump to solution

@thomascamjr @ShawnM 

Thanks for the notes. The 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' is not currently supported for use with Roku TVs. The Accessories page on our site specifically lists the models of supported Roku devices. The only supported, Roku TV replacement remote that we sell is available here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

If you are looking to use the private listening feature, and your TV was not originally sold with a remote that offers this feature, you'd want to use the free Roku mobile app for private listening. You can see more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

If you have any other questions or want more information regarding other replacement accessories that may be available for your Roku TV, please contact your Roku TV manufacturer directly. You can find their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for the note. 

Sorry to hear about the issue you are running into. Have you tried restarting your device, changing out the HDMI cable in use, and replacing the batteries in your remote? 

If you're still running into the issue from there, please send me a PM with more details about your experience including: 

- Roku account email address
- Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About 
- Channels you are watching when you experience this issue, and example content titles  
- Date when you first observed the issue begin. 
- Any other specific details that may be helpful in further troubleshooting the issue

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Tanner,

I just got the system today and private doesn't work either on the remote or the app. Turns off the TV sound but it doesn't produce sound. The earbuds work fine on my Pandora.

- Roku account email address, [personal information removed]

- Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About, model 4670X-Roku Ultra, YJ00CC520838

Thanks!

Marv Nicholson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@marvnator 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please take a look at our Support page for troubleshooting steps regarding private listening with your remote here: How do I solve problems with private listening?

If those troubleshooting steps do not resolve your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having similar issues getting sound when I use the earbud jack for private listening. I have the Roku Premier + device but it didn’t come with a remote with an earbud jack so I just bought the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote which has a jack for earbuds. When I plug it in there’s no sound. The headphones icon shows up on the TV but still no sound. Is there some setting I’m missing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a Sharp Roku TV. I just purchased the Roku Enhanced Voice Remote, I was able to successfully pair it with my TV.

When I plug into the headphone jack on the Remote, It shows it is connected on the TV, but there is no sound. I am able to get sound, although soft, via the Roku app. So I am assuming the hardware is compatible.

Please advise,

Thanks,

Shawn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

They sell no Roku tv remotes with headphone jack, and never claim it will work. I own three Roku TV's, only the newest of them a 43" TCL will work with a headphones on the remote. The other two are HisenSe and Insignia, the remote will pair with them but the headphone feature never worked.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks TivoBurkee,

I appreciate the update. We have a Sharp Roku TV, and as you said the Roku remote pairs and is able to control it, but the Headphone Jack does not work. 

WIth your information now I know that the issue is not with the way I have it set up.

Thank you,

Shawn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@thomascamjr @ShawnM 

Thanks for the notes. The 'Roku Enhanced Voice Remote' is not currently supported for use with Roku TVs. The Accessories page on our site specifically lists the models of supported Roku devices. The only supported, Roku TV replacement remote that we sell is available here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

If you are looking to use the private listening feature, and your TV was not originally sold with a remote that offers this feature, you'd want to use the free Roku mobile app for private listening. You can see more here: https://support.roku.com/article/217478308-how-do-i-use-headphones-on-my-mobile-device-for-private-l...

If you have any other questions or want more information regarding other replacement accessories that may be available for your Roku TV, please contact your Roku TV manufacturer directly. You can find their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution
Interesting that it *does* work with some Roku TVs. I have a 55" TCL Roku TV and I am able to use the headphone jack on my enhanced remote, but it does not work on my 40" TCL Roku TV. I even purchased a second enhanced remote for the 40" because it was already working on my 55". Very confusing and disappointing.
0 Kudos