Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BPH77
Level 7

Private listening mode

I would like to use wireless bluetooth headphones when I’m using my Roku 2 box. I am using a Roku 3 remote control which has the input socket for wired headphones. 

If I plug wired headphones into the remote then the audio is played through the wired headphones. 

I cannot understand how to use wireless bluetooth headphones instead. 

The private listening icon (headphones symbol) does not appear when plugging wired headphones in. 

I have tried everything a google search suggests. Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Private listening mode

Roku remotes have no provisions for sending audio over bluetooth.

What you CAN do, if you have a mobile phone with wifi and bluetooth, is install the Roku app on it and connect it to your Roku.   The app has a private listening provision.  A bluetooth headset connected to the phone can then receive the audio.  I do this all the time. 

Using the app has another benefit too.  You may have noticed that headphones connected to the remote drain the remote batteries in a hurry (always unplug the headphones when not in use as the remote's audio amplifier is on whenever a headset is plugged in) .  When using the app you eliminate this remote battery drain..

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
BPH77
Level 7

@makaiguy wrote:

Roku remotes have no provisions for sending audio over bluetooth.

What you CAN do, if you have a mobile phone with wifi and bluetooth, is install the Roku app on it and connect it to your Roku.   The app has a private listening provision.  A bluetooth headset connected to the phone can then receive the audio.  I do this all the time. 

Using the app has another benefit too.  You may have noticed that headphones connected to the remote drain the remote batteries in a hurry (always unplug the headphones when not in use as the remote's audio amplifier is on whenever a headset is plugged in) .  When using the app you eliminate this remote battery drain..

Hey Makaiguy, thank you for your reply it’s really appreciated. 

I’ve tried what you suggested. Opened the updated app on my phone and connected it to the Roku 2. Connected bluetooth headphones to my phone. Audio still does not come through the headphones. 

What device are you using? I’m starting to think that private listening mode just isn’t a feature that my Roku 2 is capable of. 

0 Kudos
BPH77
Level 7

https://image.roku.com/ww/docs/compare-chart-new-old-en-us.pdf 

I've just found this online. Looks like the older Roku 2 just does not support private listening mode. Annoying! I wonder why some devices were made to support it and others not. Oh well. Can’t be done!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@BPH77 wrote:

https://image.roku.com/ww/docs/compare-chart-new-old-en-us.pdf 

I've just found this online. Looks like the older Roku 2 just does not support private listening mode. Annoying! I wonder why some devices were made to support it and others not. Oh well. Can’t be done!

Good find.  That chart has not been updated in several years so it doesn't show all the latest models, but it is a good reference.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos