Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beq
Level 8

Private listening audio drop-outs with the remote on 5GHz?

Has anyone else noticed frequent audio interruptions using the remote headphone jack, but only when the Roku is on 5GHz Wi-Fi (as opposed to 2.4GHz)?  Wanted to see if this is a known problem or if I should do further testing on my end.

(Note that my Roku phone app private listening does not have these drop-outs, though it can have a different issue with audio out of sync depending on location and router being used.  AFAIK remote headphone jack works over Wi-Fi Direct between the Roku and remote without going through the router, though the connection shares the same Wi-Fi channel as the router since the Roku has to re-use the same radio.  In contrast, phone app private listening audio is sent over the router connection.)

Anyways, I tried remote headphone jack private listening a couple weeks back at 2 houses, using combinations of various enhanced remotes with headphone jack and the 2017 Ultra, 2016 Ultra, 4K Stick+, HD Stick, Roku 3, and 2017 TCL 4K Roku TV's.  Half were on OS 7.7 at the time, but I can re-try on OS 8.0 after today.

In most instances I heard more audio stuttering when the Roku was on 5GHz.  Which is strange since 2.4GHz definitely has more congestion at both houses (the usual combination of having more 2.4 signals from neighbors et al, less channels to avoid overlap, and having those signals travel further into other homes).  In general, speed tests on 2.4 show random dips whereas 5 is usually stable.  Interestingly, Miracast screen mirroring (which also normally works over Wi-Fi Direct) with the Roku on 2.4 shows a few anomalies here and there, but stable on 5.

Hmm, both houses happen to use the same Asus AC router.  Perhaps I should do more testing with other routers/locations...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Tekneek
Level 7

Re: Private listening audio drop-outs with the remote on 5GHz?

I encounter this every now and then. My best guess is that the remote is trying to use the same wifi channel the wlan is on, but I cannot seem to convince it to switch and I'm not forcing my entire network onto a different channel just to please the remote.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

I should've mentioned a couple of things:

1) I think I'm only getting the frequent headphone jack audio drop-outs on 5GHz with the 2017 Roku players (Ultra / 4K Stick+) and 2017 Roku TV's (TCL 4K).  The Roku 3's were fine regardless of 2.4 or 5 GHz.  (I forget how the 2016 Ultra fared...)

2) All the players were tested vertically attached to the back of a TV.

I wonder if the newer hardware have more sensitivity with the remote connection, or require more delicate positioning for the 5GHz antenna...
0 Kudos
juan2watch
Level 7

I'm getting new stuttering with Roku Express + (3710) on 8.0-4108 using private listening, 2.4Gz. Don't notice any unusual traffic on WiFi Analyzer. Stuttering goes away after 30 second or so, but happens at the beginning of each new you tube video. Listening on Android Roku app.
0 Kudos
jbsjbs
Level 7

I've been using the headphone jack on for more than a year with my Roku3 and never had a problem. But a couple of weeks ago I "upgraded" to the 2017 Ultra and have been getting audio drops frequently (maybe every 10 minutes). The Roku is hardwired. Not sure how the remote is connected to the Ultra (is there a way to tell?).

While I love the TV power and volume buttons the audio drops make me sorry I upgraded.
0 Kudos
jbsjbs
Level 7

Did the Roku 3 use a different technology (i.e. bluetooth) to send audio to the headphone jack on the remote?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

I have *always* had audio dropouts when using headphones attached to me Roku 3 remote.  Gave up on it a long time ago.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
jbsjbs
Level 7

That's interesting. I've always had trouble with the private listening via the phone app but my Roku 3 headphone jack was rock solid. Was one of my favorite features. Hope they are working on it.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"jbsjbs" wrote:
Did the Roku 3 use a different technology (i.e. bluetooth) to send audio to the headphone jack on the remote?

The only Roku remote that ever used Bluetooth was for the 2 XS, which did not have audio out on the remote. All other remotes use IR and/or Wi Fi Direct. The only remotes with audio (to my knowledge) are Wi Fi Direct.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"jbsjbs" wrote:
I've been using the headphone jack on for more than a year with my Roku3 and never had a problem. But a couple of weeks ago I "upgraded" to the 2017 Ultra and have been getting audio drops frequently (maybe every 10 minutes). The Roku is hardwired. Not sure how the remote is connected to the Ultra (is there a way to tell?).

That's my particular experience too, our old Roku 3's (which came with a simpler enhanced remote without voice search, remote finder or TV vol/power) were mostly fine using the remote headphone jack.

But our newer Roku models (which came with a more feature-rich enhanced remote) seem to be more "sensitive" in general, leading to audio drops using the remote headphone jack.

But it's interesting to hear others with differing experiences.

I also don't remember, when the Roku is hardwired, does the Wi-Fi Direct connection for the enhanced remote default to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  I want to try Ethernet next.
0 Kudos