Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrightonB
Level 8

Private Listening disables power button on enhanced voice remote

Remote M/N:  RC463

Remote Firmware:  2.01.19.108

Roku M/N:  Ultra 4670X

Roku Firmware:  9.3.0 - build 4143-46

TV M/N:  LG 47LK520-UA

With my earphones plugged into the remote the Power button will not turn off the TV.  Instead the Roku audio level appears with a value of 100 and then changes to the prior audio level value.  If I press the Power button twice very quickly before the value of 100 changes back the TV will turn off.

With the earphones plugged into the remote the Power button will not turn on the TV.  My workaround is to use the Home button.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: Private Listening disables power button on enhanced voice remote

There absolutely NO good reason to keep the headphones plugged in after turning off the tv, your batteries will be dead in a couple of hours or sooner. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
BrightonB
Level 8

Tivoburkee To prevent a possible "sound bomb", where the audio suddenly switches back to the TV, I prefer to unplug the headset after I turn off the TV.  Yes, I could simply hit the Home button before unplugging the headset and then hit the power button.  Alternatively, I could mute the TV before I plug in the headset that way the TV audio returns to muted audio.

Users will expect to turn off the TV without issue so I'm reporting it in case Roku is working on the logic for their remote and for the benefit of others in the community.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@BrightonB 

Thanks for the note.

Have your tried setting up your remote to control your TV again after the most recent update. Users have reported that after setting up the remote again, they are able to resolve the issue.

For more information about how to set your remote to control your TV, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BrightonB
Level 8

RokuDanny-R  I went into Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remotes > Remote (In use) > Set up remote for TV control.  The issue recurred but this time I had not muted the TV ahead of using the headset like I normally do.  When I pressed and released the power button the audio went to the TV and then back to the headset.  If I press the Power button twice rapidly, before it goes back to headset audio, the TV does turn off.

Note: Regardless of Private Listening mode, in order to turn on the TV I have to press the Power button twice. An alternative is to press either volume button or the mute button then a singe press of the Power button works. Its as if the IR portion of the remote goes to sleep and has to be woken by the first press before the Power button turns the TV on.  Another alternative is to press the Home button but sometimes I want to turn on the TV for the fish tank screensaver.

These two issues have occurred on both the original and a replacement remote.

0 Kudos