Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmcohen
Level 9

Private Listening Comes Through Remote's Speaker, Not The Earphones

Jump to solution

Setting up a 2020 Ultra.  Everything working except for Private Listening.  I plug the earphones into the remote and the TV sound switches off, but doesn't come to the headset.  Instead I can hear it rather faintly through the speaker on the remote itself.

The Ultra is connected through a Sony STR-DN1080 AV receiver and it is directly connected to my LAN with an Ethernet cable.

Am I missing some setting?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmcohen
Level 9

Re: Private Listening Comes Through Remote's Speaker, Not The Earphones

Jump to solution

I pulled the batteries and went through the pairing process again and now it works.  Hmm

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 21

Jump to solution

The remote doesn't have an actual speaker. And you're forgetting the speakers connected to the AV receiver? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
rmcohen
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'll listen again, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the remote since I can put my ear right up near the top of it.  It's very faint.  Nothing from the headset.  I've also tried a Beats headset with the same results.

The speakers connected to the receiver are properly muted at the point the headset is plugged in and the volume level is properly displayed on the TV right then as well.

rmcohen
Level 9

Jump to solution

I pulled the batteries and went through the pairing process again and now it works.  Hmm

View solution in original post

JoeBlack
Level 8

Jump to solution

Strangely, whether or not the remote has a speaker, the same thing has happened to me on several occasions.  The sound was definitely coming from the remote.  I can only assume that the microphone in the Roku remote was acting as a speaker for some reason.

0 Kudos
Skunk
Level 8

Jump to solution

Actually, the new Ultra remotes do have a speaker on the back.  The same thing happened to me, instead of the volume coming thru the headphones, it came thru the remotes speaker.  I unplugged the tv, waited a minute, then plugged it back in and the volume reverted to the headphones.  I’ve been scouring the internet trying to find the purpose of this new speaker, which led me to this conversation.  Has anyone figured out why the new ultra’s remote has a built in speaker?

Tivoburkee
Level 21

Jump to solution

Its for the find remote feature on the roku ultra, it plays a certain tune you picked so you can hear where its at. 

Edmund
JoeBlack
Level 8

Jump to solution

That explains where the sound is coming from but several times my remote has played the sound from the TV through the remote,  It happened when the headphones were plugged in.  This was no hallucination - the audio was coming from the remote and not the headphones,  And when I unplugged the headphones the audio still came from the remote. I had to do the remove and replace the batteries thing.

Strange days indeed. . .

0 Kudos
DLD2020
Level 7

Jump to solution

It most certainly does have a speaker....covered it up with my finger. It's on the backside. It's normally there for the "can't find my remote" sound to play. This is where the sound is coming from on ours too when the earbuds are plugged into it.

0 Kudos
MoBK
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same problem - took batteries out and reinstalled.  Sound now comes through only one ear plug.  I guess it fixed half the problem but good recommendation   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos