Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Premiere+ buttons: to activate must be pushed 'hard'

Jump to solution

I have a 3-year old Premiere+.  Maybe there's no + any longer. It was the very best remote in the house, working from 50' away.  Today, in order for it to activate any button command, the buttons must be pushed very hard.  It's as if the keypad under the buttons is dirty or oxidized, yet, I see no screws to undo and clean it.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Premiere+ buttons: to activate must be pushed 'hard'

Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.  there's always crazy glue to put it back together.  When it was new, the remote was blurringly fast. Maybe this Roku's not the most sophisticated system, but, in this rural area where I live in NS, there's only 3.2MBPS delivered, alas.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

For anyone else who has this problem, here's the skinny on how to solve it.

• The Premiere + of 2017, has a screw in the middle between the two batteries; remove it.
  • Gently pry, starting at the bottom where the Brand tag is to lift and separate the two halves. I used a long lever staple remover.
  • Work all round: Yes, some retention clip will break...keep going.
  • Take off the back from the top, leaving in place the circuit board.
  • Gently remove the board from under the large holder which is the cable hole.
  • You'll then see the rubber keypad.
  • Take it out and notice there is a dielectric grease surrounding the buttons *but* not on them.
  • Take a fine paintbrush or tiny swab, then move the grease back onto the buttons.
  • Replace the board, snap the back on, then follow the instructions for resetting. 

Eh voilà

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

If there's not a screw in the battery compartment then it probably just snaps together.  Getting something into the seam can be really tough.  I just opened an old remote by using a razor blade to push into the seam, but I don't know how advisable that is.  :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.  there's always crazy glue to put it back together.  When it was new, the remote was blurringly fast. Maybe this Roku's not the most sophisticated system, but, in this rural area where I live in NS, there's only 3.2MBPS delivered, alas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

For anyone else who has this problem, here's the skinny on how to solve it.

• The Premiere + of 2017, has a screw in the middle between the two batteries; remove it.
  • Gently pry, starting at the bottom where the Brand tag is to lift and separate the two halves. I used a long lever staple remover.
  • Work all round: Yes, some retention clip will break...keep going.
  • Take off the back from the top, leaving in place the circuit board.
  • Gently remove the board from under the large holder which is the cable hole.
  • You'll then see the rubber keypad.
  • Take it out and notice there is a dielectric grease surrounding the buttons *but* not on them.
  • Take a fine paintbrush or tiny swab, then move the grease back onto the buttons.
  • Replace the board, snap the back on, then follow the instructions for resetting. 

Eh voilà

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

I'm glad you got it fixed, but I think that stuff was silicone oil that should have been cleaned out.

http://www.michaelshell.org/gadgetsandfixes/keypadsiliconeoil.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

You must be correct as it worked for 24 hrs and then gave up again. I cleaned the pad and buttons thoroughly, so let's cross our fingers... I did not know this about the silicone oil leaching out of the cellular structure of the rubber.  The thing is, that little anymore is made from real latex rubber, 'cept gloves, as much of what's called rubber these days, is a petrochemical soup. Thanks for the link.

There is a non-setting glue of some sort beneath the cellophane lining with the black push dots between the rubber buttons we push and the circuit board. I did not remove all of this gunk, just what had squeezed onto the area where the contact is made.  Back to the tube, so we can all watch the ice melting in High Def + surround sound. hahaha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

I've opened a lot of remotes that had that goop inside, but I never knew what it was either.  I've also gone as far as to put a tiny piece of copper or aluminum tape on the rubber button or even glued aluminum foil to it.  I don't know what makes the rubber button conductive, but it seems to wear out over time.  However, sometimes my little dots fall off and wreak havoc.  :-)

0 Kudos