Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Premier + remote battery issues.

Jump to solution

@Eddie607 wrote:

I have always had the fast battery drain issue. Do the current remotes have this issue, or has it been corrected? 

First, it depends on your Roku model what type of remote it has. For the models with an IR remote (uses AAA sized batteries), those batteries should last for many months, if not a year or more, depending on usage. For WiFi Direct remotes (use AA sized batteries), mine usually last 4-5 months with light use. Also, I don't use the headphone jack. If you do use the headphone jack on the remote, make sure you unplug the headphones when not in use. Running the audio amp in the remote takes a lot of power, and will drain the batteries in a few days if left plugged in.

But extensive use of the headphone jack will go through batteries far faster. That doesn't mean anything is wrong, it's simply the use case for powering headphones through the remote.

If you have an IR remote that's going through batteries too fast, see if any of the buttons appear to be stuck. That would cause the IR emitter to be powered up full time, and that would certainly drain the batteries.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Eddie607
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Ulta and I use the plug on the side of the remote, and always unplug it when I'm not using it. The software has been updated.

What am I doing wrong?

Will I have the same issues with a new remote?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You are doing nothing wrong. Depending on how much you use the headphone jack, it might be perfectly normal. My Ultra usually needs batteries about every 3 months, but I don't use the headphone jack.

If you use it daily for extended periods, you might use them up in a week or two. I would consider that normal for that sort of use. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Eddie607  using the remote to turn the volume up and down and change channels (Netflix/ Hulu) the batteries should last months. You are doing that but on top of it you are using the private listening feature by plugging in headphones. That will drain your batteries even quicker. Just like the more you use your smartphone the quicker it drains down. 

0 Kudos
Eddie607
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The batteries are only lasting about 5 days, and I do not use the private listening feature every time. This seems like a manufacturing defect.  

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Eddie607  from your previous post. That tells me you are using the private listening headphone jack. I find it very hard to believe your batteries only last 5 days. Exactly which batteries are you using? Are they expired?

"I have the Roku Ulta and I use the plug on the side of the remote, and always unplug it when I'm not using it. The software has been updated.

What am I doing wrong?

Will I have the same issues with a new remote?"

0 Kudos
Eddie607
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I purchased more expensive batteries and this did not solve my issue. If I buy a new remote will I have the same issues with batterys? 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Eddie607,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the remote battery drain issue you are experiencing.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? 

Please keep us posted, we'd like to know more about how we can help.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Eddie607
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The unit is out of warranty, It was already checked. 

My one big question is: If I purchase a replacement remote will I have the same problem? 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes you will.  I use my headphones every night and sometimes fall asleep with them in, usually waking up in the middle of the night to unplug them.  They last about 5 - 7 days at best.  

0 Kudos