Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1crazydame
Level 9

Re: Power and Volume not responding.

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee 

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I FACTORY RESET it.  The Roku Ultra and my year old Samsung TV.  It was also unplugged for a lot longer than 24 hrs as I awaited a new HDMI cable to be delivered.  When I purchased the Roku Ultra, it was working fine for months until an upgrade, and that was that.  It's been giving an issue ever since.  Still gonna tell me how the remote has nothing to do with my TV when it worked fine for an extended period of time prior?  I'm also tired of the excuses and Support recommendations that anyone with a working braincell could do prior to even contacting support.  Now imagine what lengths someone with a degree and works for a living with technology can do before contacting support.  Hence my aggravation.  When you spend $100 on something, you expect it to work as intended for longer than a year.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Fine, complain for the sake of complaining. I wasn't having you unplug the power for sake of booting it up. I just wanted to prove it still would control the tv if the roku wasn't even plugged in. Thats all. Samsung tvs give oem and universal remotes problems for years. Usually its in form of not repeating volume commands. 

Factory resetting the roku won't reset the remote, there is no way of resetting a roku remote. So if it were programmed for a bad samsung code, it will still be programmed for that same bad samsung code even after roku factory reset. Even if you reprogrammed the remote for your samsung tv over and over again, if you keep stopping on the first positive result that mutes the music you are always programming it for the code that gave you troubles, that way reprogram it and skip the first positive result. You want to see my track record in helping people click on my name and look at my profile on the right you'll see I have been credited with over 400 Solutions to people's problem in year and and half. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
1crazydame
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee 

Okay.  I will unplug the Roku, AGAIN, reprogram my Samsung remote per skipping the first working code in case it's bad, AGAIN, take out the batteries from my Roku remote and put in fresh ones, AGAIN, replug in the Roku Ultra, AGAIN, go into settings and follow all the remote steps, AGAIN.  Maybe this time it will work.  Gotta take your word for it.  I'll respond tomorrow when my remote works for a short period of time, and then stops working, AGAIN.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Wait a minute, does your the ultra remote have a tv power key? I took it for granted it had tv IR on board like the current Ultras have, but if it doesn't have tv power key and then it means there isn't tv IR on board. In that case it does need the roku for tv volume at all times because its controlling the tv by hdmi-cec signal. The volume keys on that kind of remote are mainly for headphone jack, but it controls tv volume by picking up the wifi signal from the remote, once the roku sees these signals it puts out commands over the hdmi cable and controls whatever brand of tv you have. If your tv has the hdmi-cec feature, it might call it something else. Unplug the roku, no more volume. They is no need to program a tv brand in because all brands of tv accept the same cec commands. If it turns out you have one of these types of roku remote, I would upgrade to newer remote with tv IR board, if you don't need the headphone jack it would be $10 cheaper. So $19.99 instead of $29.99.

Edmund

0 Kudos
1crazydame
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi, @Tivoburkee, I would like to apologize for my atrocious behavior last night.  My best friend of 37 yrs had passed away earlier in the day of this illness the world is enduring, and I raged out on you and my tv, which you did not deserve, so I am truly very sorry.  I'm quite ashamed about it because that's not how I am.

In the case of my tv and the Roku:  The very first thing I did (a year ago) when I had the issue was unplug the Roku, changed the batteries and set it aside.  Then took my main remote (the Samsung remote,) changed those batteries, and through my TV menu, set up the remote like it was brand new, skipping the first working code, because as you said, Samsung is notorious for their bad codes.  Got the next working code, replugged in the Roku, and started to set up the remote like I just purchased it, again, skipping the first working code.  Worked for 2 days, then stopped.

Next, I figured, okay, maybe it was a bad software update.  I wasn't sure which one would have it, so I factory reset my Samsung TV, hoping to trigger a fresh software update.  Set up my Samsung remote, skipping the first working code, just in case, because I was not gonna go through that annoyance again lol.  Once that was done, I factory reset the Roku, then proceeded to go through the same process with the enhanced remote.  It worked for 2 days, then stopped.  Gave the same issue.  I grumbled, and figured okay, you wanna outsmart me??  Let's try the final thing.

Figuring it might be hardware, I purchased an HDMI cable specific for a 4K TV.  I bought another Roku Enhanced Remote, just in case the one I had was defective.  I unplugged the Roku, and left it unplugged until the hardware arrived which was about a week later.  Proceeded to follow all the steps with remotes again.  And again, it worked for 2 days, then the volume stopped working again.

Since doing all that, and none of it working, whenever the volume stopped working, I'd restart the Roku Ultra, and the volume would work, but only for 24 hrs.  I've been at my wits end with it.  I was hoping the support site would have some kind of hardware diagnostic link to see if there was an issue with the communication of the remote and the Roku, but then I thought that would be pointless, because the remote still works with everything else, just not the volume control.  It's very weird.  

My TV does indeed have an HDMI-CEC feature.  It's called Anynet+.  YES!!  A different plan of action!  Lol.  Now I'm eager to try it!  I'll be **bleep** if this thing is gonna outsmart me lol.  I do like the headphone attachment, because I could watch tv at night without disturbing my kids when they're asleep.  I'll shell out the $30 and hope it'll work.  Wish me luck!  Smiley Happy

Thank you so very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Not a problem, the Gaming remote has a headphone jack and doesn't have tv IR on board, so it would control the tv volume by cec, but it doesn't have a tv power key. And its in stock unlike the enhanced voice remote which is out of stock into Feb. 

Edmund

Louiv
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree with the other customers, Roku is seriously dodging the problem with routine troubleshooting guides that do not solve the problem. My roku ultra worked so well that I bought another one for a separate room. Both worked fine until one day, neither the power nor the volume worked on one of them. If you read all these posts and look at the dates, it appears they all coincide with an update. Looking at my system about info, I have a model number 4660X and a 4660RW. Both systems are still connected to the same Samsung tvs that they were first connected to 2 years ago. I was able to get the 4660X model to work right using the 1st channel code in the help bit none of the 50 codes will fix the volume on the 466RW system. I suggest Roku go back to determine which update may have caused the problem and how it effects different model numbers. It is not a case of tv or Roku hardware and definitely software related.

bmccollneb
Level 8

Jump to solution

Looks like another untested Roku update happened. My Roku volume was working fine until yesterday.

Now the volume is constant.  Thanks roku for your untested update.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@bmccollneb

Thanks for the post.
Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
frustrated782
Level 7

Jump to solution

Guess I get to add my named to this pile. Have had my Samsung connected to my roku for over two years, never a problem. The roku updated itself at4:15pm today....and have not been able to control TV sound with the remote since. Given the length of thread I'm surprised (...or not) roku has not resolved this issue by now. If Danny or another Roku representative can assist ....yet again ...with what appears to be a persistent problem with their software updates that would be appreciated.

0 Kudos