Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottCal
Level 7

Power: 5v v 5.2?

Hi,

I have two Roku premieres. I am moving one around as I have a third tv in my office and I want to keep tabs on the news during the day.

One of my power adapters is plugged behind a piece of furniture and hard to get to when I move the Roku. I have an old USB/wall adapter for an ASUS tablet that is 5.2v and 1 amp—the adapters for the Premiere are 5.0v/1A.

Can I use that slightly more powerful adapter, or might it harm the Roku?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Power: 5v v 5.2?

5.2, that's an odd voltage for them to choose. Most likely to "force" you to purchase a replacement from them.

Odds are it wouldn't cause a problem, but it's so easy (and cheap) to find a true 5vdc wall plug that I don't think I'd bother. Chances are most 5 vdc wall converters have a little bit of range to them anyway, but like I said I probably wouldn't risk it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ScottCal
Level 7

Thanks, Dan. 5.2 *is* an odd voltage. I guess that's true that I can find a 5V one easily. With all the old adapters I have around here, I might even have one from another device that I rarely use... ah ... in fact, you gave me an idea, as I have a lot of portable musical things that have USB adapters. I'll look for an exact match. (Or I'll just buy one.)

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Most chargers only express their nominal output voltage to no decimal places, i.e. 5V, not 5.0V.  5.2V expressed to no decimal places would be 5V also.

Everything I've been able to find online says the tolerance on a nominal 5V USB port is 4.75 to 5.25 volts.  Devices designed to be powered by these ports should be able to handle anything in this voltage range. 

More important is the current output of the power source.  You need to have a charger that can deliver at least the amperage needed to power the device. My three current Rokus all came with 1 amp current ratings.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

True, all powered devices have a tolerance range for voltage. It's just so odd that they actually labeled it 5.2. And given it's possible tolerance, it might actually have an output of almost 5.5v. I'd test it myself before trusting it to power something with sensitive electronics within. I pulled my old 2 XS out of the drawer (closest Roku handy) and it's labeled 1.5a. Then I dug out my suitcase and checked my Premiere, and while the Roku itself doesn't list a current requirement the power cube is rated at 1a. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ScottCal
Level 7

Thanks, both of you, for your replies. Yes, that ASUS adapter is 1 amp, which matches the Roku. Maybe I'll try it. I'd hate to blow this out, though. I should go back and check the specs of the tablet that used it (which I no longer have), to see what it requires. Maybe it's also 5V. and so the adapter may be okay.

Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos