Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hubris
Level 7

Please make the wifi channel used for the remote control configurable.

The Roku devices I have (and I have several of them) all use the same channel as they are managed on to broadcast the wifi for the remote control.  If you change the channel used for the SSID used to manage it, it'll follow that channel and put the remote on the new channel.

This is undeniably a horrible design;  it guarantees that it will interfere with the wireless connectivity of other devices I have.  Can you please, please make the remote control channel configurable?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
hubris
Level 7

Re: Please make the wifi channel used for the remote control configurable.

Is this bothering anyone else?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

It doesn't bother me, but then I use a wired connection whenever possible.  I don't believe it's possible to have the remote use a different channel.  It's a hardware limitation.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

It uses the same WiFi channel because it only has one 2.4 GHz radio. For dual band Roku devices, you can connect the Roku to 5 GHz and the remote remains on 2.4 GHz, so that's really the only way to deconflict them. Anything else would require a change of hardware, which adds to the cost. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos