Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Personal shortcut buttons don't work with certain commands

I just received the Ultra today. In setting up the personal shortcut buttons, I noticed that one voice command would not work when I tried to set it and use it in a personal shortcut button on the remote.

The voice command is, from the Home screen: "Go to Subscriptions in YouTube."

This voice command works great: It launches the YouTube app and goes to the Subscription section in it.

However, after setting one of the personal shortcut buttons and trying to use it, I get the following error.

"Thinking... Something went wrong. Try again."

Note that I can successfully set and use the personal shortcut buttons to other voice commands, such as "Play WFKU in Tune In" or "Launch YouTube."

I would hope that all voice commands, at least the ones that can be executed from the home screen, could be put into one of the personal shortcut buttons.

PS: It'd also be nice if there was an option to stop Roku from voicing preset commands when you execute them through the personal shortcut buttons.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Personal shortcut buttons don't work with certain commands

It appears that the 2019 Ultra Enhanced Remote includes a mute button under the volume down button, in addition to the "1" and "2" personal shortcut buttons.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3445400/roku-ultra-2019-review-its-all-about-the-buttons.html

QUESTIONS:  Does your Remote have the Mute button?  Are you able to program the personal shortcut buttons to control functions on the TV (such as changing inputs?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Yes, I got the latest Roku Ultra. The Roku remote has the mute, volume, and power buttons for the TV, and they work, which is nice. ;^)

Since my TV is not a Roku TV, I cannot use the voice command or the personal shortcut buttons to execute other TV functions—as far as I know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@sicjedi Thanks for the note here. 

I'll pass this feedback along to the team to take a closer look! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Thanks Tanner!

I'm not sure how to file a bug/suggestion report, or how to keep track of them—if that's possible for customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@sicjedi You're welcome. Feel free to keep an eye on this topic thread. I'll try to post an update when I hear any further news.

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I used to be a coder/developer, so I'd like to take the liberty to make a suggestion or two...

It seems that Roku sometimes has special functionality that is executed for a voice command, as compared to Roku's regular functionality. For example, when I give the voice command "WFKU on TuneIn," I get a different result than if I just launch TuneIn and play WFKU manually.

PROBLEM. If Roku has such special functionality, the personal shortcut buttons seem to execute that functionality, no problem. But when there is no such special functionality, such as when giving the voice command "Subscriptions on YouTube," the personal shortcut buttons do not work in executing these commands.

SUGGESTION: Perhaps if Roku does not have special functionality in regard to a particular voice command, Roku should save the raw data of the voice command. When setting and then executing this command through the personal shortcut buttons, the raw data of the voice command should be used: to make a general solution, when no special functionality exists for a particular voice command.

UNRELATED SUGGESTION: When using the personal shortcut buttons, they should only work when held down for at least a full second, to prevent Roku "catastrophe" if the user hits one of these buttons by accident while doing something else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

It seems that the Roku development team has addressed all my concerns very well.

Thanks!!! ;^) 

0 Kudos