Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeeDee
Level 8

Pairing remote resolved! Green light keeps blinking.

Hi! I will tell you what worked for me. I had issues with remote trying to pair. After repeated attempts of resetting remote and assistance from ROKU support, the steps suggested just did not work.

Here’s what worked:

Remove batteries from remote. Press reset and HOLD the reset button on your ROKU stick or device. The ROKU will reboot and display screen saver.  Shortly after, a screen prompt on TV will tell you to place batteries in remote and hold the reset button in remote for 5 seconds. After that, it’s smooth sailing 😀

I hope this helps because I was frustrated following recommended instructions to no avail. Happy streaming and enjoy the show!  📱📺

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15\
Convextech
Level 8

Re: Pairing remote resolved! Green light keeps blinking.

Thank you. This worked for me, although not at first, because I still had the batteries in my old remote, and it was detecting both. 

LeeDee
Level 8

Convextech,

Yay, so happy! I know it can be frustrating if you followed ROKU's steps without resolution. I even conveyed what worked for me so they may help future calls/chats.

Tech support must be literary 3rd party offshore. I cut and pasted the steps and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting Roku customer support. This is a follow-up email regarding your conversation with Roku

I apologize for the chat disconnection.

I would request you to try with connecting a HDMI port and check?

Thank you for choosing Roku. Have a great day!

Best regards,
S*****
Roku Customer Support

Convextech
Level 8

This is actually a circus for me right now because I had to purchase a new Roku device due to my Roku Premiere failing after they pushed a firmware update to accept legacy wifi modes. My Cox gateway cannot be edited by me, nor by Cox people remotely. The Cox Customer Care guy tried for an hour on the phone for me and finally told me to get a 3rd party router to try to bypass the lock on the wifi mode and channel settings. I had to call a different number to make an appointment with a tech to come out, and that guy asked me, "What is a wifi mode?" WTF!? I replied, "Oh FFS" and hung up. JFC 

LeeDee
Level 8

Definitely 3rd party offshore. Can only read the scripted flowchart.  

I got this stick as a gift. When it starts giving me headaches like yours, I'm jumping ship. 

0 Kudos
Convextech
Level 8

I hear you, and if this was my only Roku device I'd have chunked it already and gone with another option. Unfortunately over the years I've added other Roku devices that are in other bedrooms, the living room, the man cave, etc. I wish it was that easy. I long for the days when cable wasn't expensive and I could use TiVo in two rooms for whatever we wanted. 

0 Kudos
vtlady98
Level 7

I have two Roku remotes.  One is a voice remote that goes with my mom's Hisense Roku TV.  The other is a basic remote (no voice & no pairing button), which I connected via a Roku 4k+ streaming stick into an HMDI port in the back of an LG Smart TV (which is much older, but rarely used).  I did exactly what you suggested with the voice remote, but it did not pair with this streaming stick.  This voice remote did not come with the streaming stick, so I don't know if they are compatible.  The basic remote volume and power buttons work like a charm.  However, when navigating on the Roku home screen, no other button functions.  I'm truly baffled as to what might be going on.  Do we need a new remote for this streaming stick?  My mom just bought a new voice remote that recharges for her Hisense Roku TV.  Should we do the same for the streaming stick?  Any suggestions might be helpful at this point.  It doesn't make sense for this remote to be partially functioning.  Thanks all who are able to provide some input.  Would a factory   reset make a difference?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@vtlady98, first, it does make sense that the remote could partially work.  The TV controls (power and volume) are completely separate from the Roku controls and don't require the pairing that the Roku controls do (configuring a remote for TV control isn't the same thing).

The remote should work with the stick.  Make sure you're using good, fresh batteries and the remote is close to the stick when you're trying to pair. Press and hold the pairing button until the green light starts to flash on the remote and then press the reset button on the stick.  You may want to unplug any other Roku devices that are in the area just in case the remote is trying to pair with the wrong device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
LeeDee
Level 8

When resetting the ROKU stick/device, it's imperative that you press AND HOLD until the system reboots. When ROKU appears on TV, release the button. The screen should then prompt you on steps with regards to pairing the remote. 

I hope this resolves your issue!

0 Kudos
Njszabo
Level 7

This fix worked for me and I’m so glad I found it! I was so frustrated with the new Roku I boxed it back up and submitted a return through Amazon. Last night when I found this fix I drug it back out of the box and followed your steps. Hallelujah! So glad I took the time to look. A lot won’t. I love this device, now that I got past the Pair your remote screen!!