Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Pairing new Roku voice control remote with Roku primere model 3900

So my old doesn’t work anymore so I bought a new voice control remote for my Roku premiere model 3900. But it’s not pairing. Tried doing the power cycle, holding the rest button on both remote and the device. Did a hard reset on the phone by pressing the home button and reset button and etc. it’s still not connecting.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Pairing new Roku voice control remote with Roku primere model 3900

@James4 wrote:
So my old doesn’t work anymore so I bought a new voice control remote for my Roku premiere model 3900. But it’s not pairing. Tried doing the power cycle, holding the rest button on both remote and the device. Did a hard reset on the phone by pressing the home button and reset button and etc. it’s still not connecting.

The 3900 is the Express, not the Premiere. And the Express does not support WiFi Direct remotes. They are IR only. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ok so what does that mean? Which remote do I need to get than? Thank you for your help btw.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@James4 wrote:
Ok so what does that mean? Which remote do I need to get than? Thank you for your help btw.

Well, that remote should still work. But with IR you have to have a clear line of sight between the Roku and the player. IR doesn't require pairing, they just work. However, the voice function will not work (that requires WiFi Connect), and if you bought the version with a headphone jack that won't work with your player either, as that too requires WiFi Direct. 

Otherwise, the Standard IR remote on their accessories web site is the same remote yours came with. https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Its 3700 express that won't work with a wifi remote, but the 3900 & 3930 expresses will.

With remote battery cover off and ready, pull the power to express, then plug it in as the roku is bouncing start to press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment, when it stops bouncing let go of the button for a moment and then start pressing again until you get confirmation its paired

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I really wish Roku would stop reusing device names that have incompatible features. it really makes it difficult to ensure someone gets accurate information for their specific model. Le sigh... Smiley Mad

Dan
0 Kudos