Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HighlanderCFH
Level 8

Pairing light begins blinking upon battery insertion

I just received a new Roku voice/point anywhere remote and am trying to pair it with my Roku Express+ model 3710X player.

The instructioins say to unplug the power to the player for 5 seconds, then insert the batteries in the new remote.  The instructions further say to press the pairing button for 5 seconds or until the LED status light begins to blink.  Then it supposed to put a dialog box on the TV and pair in 30 seconds.

But every time I go through this process, the LED light begins blinking immediately upon inserting the batteries.  I'm under the impression that the light should not come on until I press the pairing button.

But the light begins blinking before I can press the pairing button and there is no dialogue box that comes on the screen.

Am I doing something wrong or could this new remote be defective?

Thank you,
Chuck

6 REPLIES 6\
richie1
Level 7

Re: Pairing light begins blinking upon battery insertion

You haven't heard back (a week)?  Great.  I'm having the same problem.  Roku screen has "pairing remote" sign and then again and again.  Remote pairing light blinking upon inserting batteries.  I'm ordering two remotes next time.  I'd like to hear from them before I flush the money.

0 Kudos
Artist
Level 7

This just happened to us too.  I have two different Roku 3 boxes and two remotes that suddenly stopped working.  I tried everything that everyone else has, and I am very frustrated.  Roku has always been our go to and we have many boxes from brand new to these two 3's.  What are we to do?  I do not want to have to use my phone as my remote.  I believe that Roku has to do another update to revive this issue.  Way too many people are complaining about this exact issue for it to be a fluke.

Roku... help us please.  I was a diehard fan until this started 2 days ago.  I have purchased Roku for family members and also suggested it to many friends over the years.  I am embarrassed if this is what your new trend is going to be.  UGH!!!

0 Kudos
HighlanderCFH
Level 8

I have 2-3 roku Express+ players and, in addition to the remote/blinking light problem, both players cannot seem to stop timing out every 25 minutes or so.  

Essencially I solved the problem by eliminating Roku from my entertainment system.  I also use Amazon Fire TV sticks -- and actually have used them more because their remotes can be individually paired and work with wi-fi so I don't have to point the remotes directly at the players.

So, at least for now, I've disconnected the Rokus and will be strictly using the Fire Sticks.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

You express+ 3710 is IR only roku, it doesn't accept wifi remote at all. There isn't even remote option in the settings. So thats why your wifi remote wouldn't work. Same for 3700 express, but all express/express+ models after those could accept wifi voice remotes. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
red_20874
Level 7

Re: Roku remote just stopped working and Pairing light light won't stop blinking

THis just happened to me this morning. Changed batteries, but to no avail. Ultra model 4670 Wireless

UPDATE:  I disconnected all cords from box for over 3 minutes, reconnected and tried remote and it worked!

0 Kudos
Wrinty
Level 7

Re: Roku remote just stopped working and Pairing light light won't stop blinking

I am going to add my name to the list of users being frustrated by this issue. I have a 3810x and have compunded the issue with a hard rest now the stick justs displays the Roku logo on the TV expecting me to pair a remote, whilst the pairing light on the remote just flashes away to no avail :-(

0 Kudos