Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kmckit
Level 7

Pairing enhanced voice remote

I am finding that Pairing notes for the Enhanced Remote is a little confusing.  I found to Pair the device you need to restart the Roku Premiere and before you see the rotating Roku symbol page you need to push the Pairing button in the battery compartment for at least 3 seconds to see the pairing message appear on the screen.  Everything I read seemed to say to wait til you see the home page.  I beat my brain trying to figure this out because Roku do not offer in personal technical support.  They want you to purchase a new remote making you think the old remote was bad.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pairing enhanced voice remote

Which Roku Premiere model number do you have? The current Premiere comes with an IR remote. I know the Premiere+ will support the WiFi Direct remote, but I'm not certain the current Premiere does. So, which model number is your device?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Kmckit
Level 7

I have a 3920X (Roku Premiere).  According to the Roku Voice Remote box (SKU#: RCAL7R) side it says it supports Roku Premiere and Roku Premiere+.  It is now paired to my Roku and is working as advertised.  The only problem I had was the Pairing instructions.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

I knew the remotes paired to the original Premiere devices (4620; Roku 4 form factor) even though they came with IR remotes. I ran one that way for years.

But I thought they made the newer Premiere devices (Express form factor) IR only. Glad to see I was wrong about that.

Roku's pairing instructions have lacked clarity since the Roku 2 XS came out in 2011. The initial setup instructions are actually better than they used to be. Instructions for setting up a replacement still lack the clarity they should have.

It's almost like you have to know how to do it (and don't need the instructions) to use the instructions.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Kmckit
Level 7

I have an electronics and Mechanical background.  2 associates degrees and 30 yrs work experience.  I like to joke I know enough about both to be dangerous.  But I spent the evening trying to pair a remote.  It should have been a lot simpler than it was.  To top it off a quick talk with a Roku Tech support rep would have made this go faster instead of me trying to figure it out like it was a puzzle.  They need to do something about there Tech Support.  If I am going to spend my money on a product there should be someone to answer questions.  Google it should not be the answer.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@DBDukes 

All current roku's can be paired to a wifi voice remote, express, express+, premiere, and so on can be paired to voice remote even though they don't come with one. Remotes considered Enhanced Voice remote meaning it has a headphone jack built-in, only roku premiere + and above work with headphone jack, so express, express+, and premiere don't work with headphone jack. Only the 3700 series of express and express+ 3710 won't work with any wifi remote they are strictly IR only. Every model since can. Well, I can't say fior sure about the SE models? 

As for the OP, they are directions for roku's that starting out right after factory reset or just out of the box, and then there's directions for just adding a new remote to given roku. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Have you tried to get help on a Fire TV device? To me, that's a nightmare. At least Roku has this user forum that has some knowledgable people that have helped me over the years.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Kmckit
Level 7

I have Apple TV boxes.  There Tech support always was great when I dealt with them. I bought the Roku so I could use it as an extra box for my Xfinity cable box (Xfinity App).  I have not completely cut the cord with the cable companies because I have 2 80 year olds living in the house that are not tech savvy. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

My mother was the same way. After she got used to watching Xfinity TV via the Roku app, it was an easy move to Pluto TV, especially when she found some of the older shows they carried. She eventually realized the only Xfinity cable shows she watched were local channels. She didn't have an antenna (40+ miles from the nearest station) so she cut back to an Xfinity locals only package and saved a shipload of money.

If you have yours watching via the Xfinity app, you're half-way home.

DBDukes

0 Kudos