Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esmoldt
Level 7

Pair a specific remote with a specific display?

Hi! I have three big Samsung displays hanging about 15 feet up and two feet apart from each other on the wall of a laboratory. I use them to show research presentations and movies. Sometimes I need to control one of the displays while not affecting the other two. However, the Samsung and Roku remotes usually affect all three at one time. Does anyone know how to pair a specific remote with a specific display? Yes, I can pair a specific mobile device to a specific Roku Express, but I'd like to avoid buying three new (really expensive) devices to control a $30 Roku Express. Thank you!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Pair a specific remote with a specific display?

"esmoldt" wrote:
Hi! I have three big Samsung displays hanging about 15 feet up and two feet apart from each other on the wall of a laboratory. I use them to show research presentations and movies. Sometimes I need to control one of the displays while not affecting the other two. However, the Samsung and Roku remotes usually affect all three at one time. Does anyone know how to pair a specific remote with a specific display? Yes, I can pair a specific mobile device to a specific Roku Express, but I'd like to avoid buying three new (really expensive) devices to control a $30 Roku Express. Thank you!

Roku Express is IR only. Remotes don't pair. Any IR remote (Roku or Roku compatible universal with the proper code) will control any Roku device in sight.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

What Dukes said. Your option is to choose a different Roku player that uses WiFi direct for the remote. For the current lineup, that's any of the Sticks, the Premiere+ or the Ultra. Many of the older models also used WiFi direct. This page outlines what each Roku player used. If you decide on an older model, I don't recommend going any further back than the 4th generation. As far as the TV remotes, you're stuck. They're likely IR only. I do have a Samsung JU7100 TV that has a Bluetooth remote. That pairs directly with the TV. But it's also IR, so probably wouldn't do what you want. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
esmoldt
Level 7

Thank you for your replies! This helps me know what to do.
0 Kudos