Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MistyDawn1031
Level 7

PLEASE HELP!

I have recently purchased a USED Roku device. It did not come inside a box or instructions or anything. It was the tiny rectangular shaped box, with the hook up wires. Those were an HDMI cable, what looks to be similar to an android phone charger and the yellow, white, and red prongs. I have NO clue what this device is called other than a Roku streaming device. I had to buy a remote separate from the device. Now I’m having trouble getting the remote paired to the device. I’ve been trying for two weeks now! Keep in mind that I have plugged the Roku device into my tv and the device does come on and show me the Home Screen. Also keep in mind this device is NOT connected to my Wi-Fi network. PLEASE HELP ME! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: PLEASE HELP!

Unfortunately, not all remotes work on all devices. Since yours came with the analog video/audio cables, that should mean it’s not a Roku Stick. That means you can use a universal infrared (IR) remote that contains Roku codes. IR remotes do not need to be paired. They simply need a clear line of sight between the remote and the Roku.

But if you bought a remote for a Roku Stick, that will not work on a Roku player, as it doesn’t have IR support. Now there are some Stick players that now come with IR control for the tv, but it still won’t control the Roku player itself.

So, somewhere on the Roku case should be a model number embossed into the case. We really need to know that number to ensure we’re offering the correct advice. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos