Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheariah
Level 7

Re: Original Roku - Universal Remote Codes

Thank you unknown2angels! I already had that same Sony universal remote. I couldn't find my Roku remote - I think my son took it, because he saw me trying to play Angry Birds last night. He loves games, but he has Down Syndrome & doesn't talk, so he wouldn't tell me. I had wasted too much time searching & was tired & wanting to watch netflix. So I started searching online and found your post. The code 52371 works! Awesome. Thank you for posting that info.
0 Kudos
minkalue
Level 7

"unknown2angels" wrote:
I don't know about spendy remotes, but I just bought this one: Sony RMVZ320 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUFQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00. It cost me $11.98, free shipping with Amazon Prime and the code for the Roku was 52371. Works perfectly but my needs are simple.

this worked for me, too. thank you!!!
0 Kudos
daldude786
Level 7

Is this for the current Roku's or the older ones? How can a universal remote work with Roku when they use Bluetooth as opposed to IR?

"unknown2angels" wrote:
I don't know about spendy remotes, but I just bought this one: Sony RMVZ320 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUFQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00. It cost me $11.98, free shipping with Amazon Prime and the code for the Roku was 52371. Works perfectly but my needs are simple.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"daldude786" wrote:
"unknown2angels" wrote:

Is this for the current Roku's or the older ones? How can a universal remote work with Roku when they use Bluetooth as opposed to IR?

If you're asking of the Roku 2 XS will work with an older remote, the answer is yes. It supports Bluetooth remotes, but the older remotes as well.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

^ Yes. The R2 XD and XS boxes are both Bluetooth and IR.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
gilzoo
Level 7

I just bought the Sony RM-VZ320 and programmed the Roku code into it. Works perfect for "up/down/right/left" as well as "enter" and "menu".

Anyone know if there's a button for "return" or "back"? I'm using a Roku XS.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
elorimer
Level 7

We should nip this in the bud: There's no point in buying a universal remote unless it is a learning remote at the very least. Ever.

This one isn't a learning remote. It doesn't have VPT. I don't even see the Roku listed in the code list online.
0 Kudos
gilzoo
Level 7

The Sony Sony RM-VZ320 does have a code listed for Roku under the "Video Accessory" section. I was just wondering whether it gives you a "Return" button.
0 Kudos
Sheariah
Level 7

Sony RM-VZ320 on Roku 2 XS; the "up" button takes you back to previous screen.

There may be no point in buying a universal remote to operate the Roku, unless you have lost or broken the original and don't want to pay an outrageous price for a replacement, or perhaps prefer to use only one remote instead of 5+. Of course I didn't have to go out and buy it, I already had this remote for operating my 50" plasma TV, DVD box with surround sound, and cable DVR box. I also have a box full of other universal remotes from trying to find a single remote that would operate enough functions on all tree devices to not require keeping another remote at my fingertips, and that was before adding the Roku player.

As for finding the code to use, I just tried what I found on the forum. The code is 52371 for those who do not want to search the forums for it. I programmed it to the "vcr" button since I no longer have a vcr.

For those who are confused about bluetooth and IR, the bluetooth only works for playing games. The TV watching function are controlled by IR.

Ignore this if it doesn't interest you. I just wanted to let those who are interested know what worked for me.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

For those who are confused about bluetooth and IR, the bluetooth only works for playing games. The TV watching function are controlled by IR.

Actually, that's not quite correct. The R2 XD and XS are both bluetooth and IR capable. The bluetooth remote is only bluetooth, no IR, so if you're using that remote, all functions are bluetooth controlled. The IR remote works with all Rokus, past and present, but IR will not work for motion control games.

There may be no point in buying a universal remote to operate the Roku, unless you have lost or broken the original and don't want to pay an outrageous price for a replacement

Replacement Roku IR remotes are $9.99, the bluetooth remote is $29.99 and includes a 2GB micro SD card.
http://www.roku.com/accessories
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos