Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghjr
Level 7

Original Roku - Universal Remote Codes

I have one of the original Roku boxes. I lost the remote a few months back, and I've been using my iphone to control the box since. I'm a little tired of having to do that though, so I'd like to use my universal remote instead (it's an IR remote). Does anyone know the 4-digit code I need to pair the universal remote to the box? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. When I search these boards for it, I find people talking about expensive universal remotes from Logitech that come with the codes built in, or complicated hex codes, or other things that don't apply to my situtation. I just need a four digit code so I can use my $12 remote with the box.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
40 Replies
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: Original Roku - Universal Remote Codes

I don't know the answer to your question, but you can get a replacement Roku remote for $9.95 here:
http://www.roku.com/accessories
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 7

"ghjr" wrote:
I have one of the original Roku boxes. I lost the remote a few months back, and I've been using my iphone to control the box since. I'm a little tired of having to do that though, so I'd like to use my universal remote instead (it's an IR remote). Does anyone know the 4-digit code I need to pair the universal remote to the box? For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. When I search these boards for it, I find people talking about expensive universal remotes from Logitech that come with the codes built in, or complicated hex codes, or other things that don't apply to my situtation. I just need a four digit code so I can use my $12 remote with the box.

Thanks.

There are literally 1000s of "codes" that work on 1000s of different remotes. The codes are specific to the remote and/or manufacturer involved. If Roku is not listed in the manual you received with you remote then, most likely, Roku is not a supported device.

You should contact the remote manufacturer for help about getting your Roku to work with it as it is their codes you need to use.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"ghjr" wrote:

Thanks.

As Gilgamesh said, the Roku code for one remote might not work on another remote. Yours might not support Roku, but until you look up the latest documentation for your specific made and model universal remote, you won't know.

If it doesn't support Roku (and it very well may not), you may be able to find a relatively cheap remote that will. My son bought a universal remote in the $10 - $20 range at Best Buy a few months ago that he uses for his TV and his Roku. I want to say it was a Phillips brand, but I'm not 100% certain. Best Buy, Kmart, Sears, Walmart, or even Family Dollar may have an inexpensive remote that will work. But, like my son did, and like Gilgamesh suggested, look and see if Roku is listed as a supported device.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
ghjr
Level 7

Ah, I see. I thought the remote control codes were standard across the industry, and each manufacturer was assigned a code or range of codes. I guess it's a little more complicated than that. Oh well. I'm only out $12 at least. Thanks for the help, and the link to the replacement remote.
0 Kudos
streetskater
Level 7

Well,
While it's true that there are thousands of protocols by the major manufacturers like Sony, Panasonic etc., a company like ROKU doesn't normally start off by creating their own.

A forum I belong to hifi-remote.com[/url:2zh5wj4m] pretty much does nothing BUT figure out various remote codes and re-programs remotes to be exactly ...

0 Kudos
scyber
Level 7

"streetskater" wrote:

BTW: with a little playing around with the 256 possible codes using the above protocol, I was able to find specific codes that will take me directly to a channel like Netflix or Playon.

Woah, I knew there were specific codes for specific channels (Netflix, Pandora, Crackle,etc), but are you saying it is possible to launch ANY roku channel via IR commands? If so, can you share the details on that? I'd be curious to program in some of my favorite channels into shortcuts on my harmony remote (if possible).
0 Kudos
Nick255
Level 7

"ghjr" wrote:
Ah, I see. I thought the remote control codes were standard across the industry, and each manufacturer was assigned a code or range of codes. I guess it's a little more complicated than that. Oh well. I'm only out $12 at least. Thanks for the help, and the link to the replacement remote.

It sort of is. The protocols/frequencies are more or less standard but the way they are mapped to actual four digit codes is not which means the code for your Roku could be 1234 on one remote and 1111 on another.
0 Kudos
elorimer
Level 7

"streetskater" wrote:

Using a NEC2** Protocol; Device 224; Sub Device 194 the EFC codes for the Roku 2XS are something like:

Function--EFC
Play/pause--036
Home--087
REV--148
FWD--104

and so on.

BTW: with a little playing around with the 256 possible codes using the above protocol, I was able to find specific codes that will take me directly to a channel like Netflix or Playon.

Hello, here I thought I was the lonely JP1er here! Did you find codes for other than Crackle, Pandora and Netflix? They were introduced with the 12 button remote, but I never got around to trying any other OBCs.

Also, and it is a little outside of the interest of the folks here, the Device/Subdevice is 234/194.

To get back on topic, there are still very few universal remotes with the Roku code, and you have to be careful that the remote has the video box code, not the Soundbridge code. If you've lost the original remote getting a replacement plus a learning remote is the easiest way to go, I think.
0 Kudos

I don't know about spendy remotes, but I just bought this one: Sony RMVZ320 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00385XUFQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00. It cost me $11.98, free shipping with Amazon Prime and the code for the Roku was 52371. Works perfectly but my needs are simple.
0 Kudos