Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TC0412

Only the volume and power button works

Hi!

About a month ago, when we changed our WiFi internet from spectrum to att. The roku, all of a sudden started disconnecting. We would re-synced or re-connected it but, it stayed doing that everyday. Until about a few weeks ago, we got another tv and moved the roku upstairs. The roku doesnt disconnect anymore, but now only volume and power button work on the remote, nothing else. How can I fix it or do I need to buy a new roku?

36 REPLIES 36
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Only the volume and power button works

@TC0412 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support pages here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
brian2200
Channel Surfer

We have 4  X Roku Streaming Stick and each Remote exhibit very similar issues. First, Our main tv remote only has Power and Volume features working. All others have Power On Issues. When Roku TV is reset all the remote work as desired. I am frustrated with Roku Support since they claim there is no issue even though we are less that 15 feet from the TV and the wireless network is about 10 feet from the TV's. Worse is that the Remote APP on my Android phone works fine on the same network implying the network is fine and so is the wireless signal strength including no issues with streaming content. This posted message is to support all others that have similar issues and are being advised by ROKU support it is NOT their equipment when the reality is quite different. 

Please also note these remotes have also been repaired as if they are the first initial install to each of the respective ROKU Streaming Stick. At that time each remote works fine with all feature controls. 

In each case the remote battery are new and fresh install.

So, we have Roku successfully streaming and controlled by Phone APP but no reliable remote features. Is there any help here?

msharpe11
Reel Rookie

I have the same issue. Remote just stopped working except for power and volume buttons. I have tried all the steps to reset, but still does not work. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @msharpe11

We're here to help!

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be located at the back or underneath the player itself.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Hi:

I have the same issue.  What I noticed is that the remote was getting slow to respond when I wanted to change channels on the streaming video.  So, I followed the steps to unplug the streaming stick for 10 seconds, replugged it into my tv, changed out the batteries, pressed the pairing button (it continues to keep flashing green), and the pairing window never popped up (like the instructions said it would).  So, now, the only buttons that work on the remote are the power button and the volume button. 

I thought this was a WIFI issue but my work laptop, cell phone and home laptop are all working fine.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help resolve this.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Unplug the power from the stick+, then plug it back in when it stops bouncing press and hold the pairing key for 3 seconds and release, allow it to communicate with roku. It is alright if the light goes out don't a press a thing until you get a big DONE on screen. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

If you are connected to the 2.4 GHz band try connecting the device to the 5 GHz band.  This will not work if your device only supports 2.4 GHz band.

0 Kudos
Gstefani

Hello, anybody found the solution for this issue? Mine just went down. I tried pairing but won’t leave the pairing instructions on the TV. The pairing light also just keeps flashing. Tried replacing batteries and do all the hard reset. This is so frustrating!! 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gstefani

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos