Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkbullen
Level 7

One remote to two differnt sticks???

I have two different Roku's  one the stick plug into the HDMI the other Roku I have plugs into the HDMI but it has a plug into electric socket but I only have one remote I can I use the remote for both  Roku? This remote goes with the stick that does not have the plug on it??

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: One remote to two differnt sticks???

"kkbullen" wrote:
I have two different Roku's  one the stick plug into the HDMI the other Roku I have plugs into the HDMI but it has a plug into electric socket but I only have one remote I can I use the remote for both  Roku? This remote goes with the stick that does not have the plug on it??

Regarding WiFi Direct remotes (which the Sticks use), you can have multiple remotes on a single Roku device, but not multiple Roku devices on a single remote. So, no.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

The Sticks use WiFi to communicate with their remotes. You have to pair the stick with the remote. If both use the same remote, both will be controlled at the same time. It's not like IR remotes, where you need to be in the same room. The WiFi remote will work from quite a long distance.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

The newest model Roku Sticks appear to do both wifi (paired to a specific Roku device) as well as IR if the paired Roku device is off.
If in another room there is an IR capable Roku that remote from the stick (wifi/IR) could be used as a Roku IR remote there as well I bet.
Can also use a smartphone with the Roku app to control any of the Rokus too, that what I use an older Samsung S4 phone in wifi mode for.  I replaced that phone with a newer model years ago but its still useful as a remote control!
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"NightHawk" wrote:
The newest model Roku Sticks appear to do both wifi (paired to a specific Roku device) as well as IR if the paired Roku device is off.
If in another room there is an IR capable Roku that remote from the stick (wifi/IR) could be used as a Roku IR remote there as well I bet.
Can also use a smartphone with the Roku app to control any of the Rokus too, that what I use an older Samsung S4 phone in wifi mode for.  I replaced that phone with a newer model years ago but its still useful as a remote control!

Roku documentation shows all models of Roku Stick are WiFi Direct only. None support IR control. Perhaps the remotes that are included with the Sticks might also have IR out. But the Stick itself does not support IR. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 13

As long as the Roku stick is plugged in, the Roku IR built-in to the roku remotes are turned off. Once the roku is unplugged, the remotes can emit IR for roku commands. This goes for both Roku RC-AL2 , stick remote, and the RC-AL4, the ultra roku remote.
0 Kudos