Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One remote controlling two devices

Jump to solution

I have a slim voice remote with non-rechargeable batteries that is controlling both my Roku Ultra and Roku 4k Express, which are located in different rooms. I've followed the pairing (https://support.roku.com/article/208755708) and unpairing guides (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-pair-roku-remote-4175130) when unpairing and re-pairing 2 different remotes. I've tried pairing with one roku unplugged, but as soon as I replug it back it the remote is somehow paired to that roku (after previously unpairing it). How do I fix this?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: One remote controlling two devices

Jump to solution

I have a potential solution for my problem. I've learned that the remotes have both a WiFi connection and an IR emitter. I can pair the WiFi component to an individual roku device, and that connection will work on a single roku. However, the IR component will work on every roku device, and there doesn't appear to be a way to stop that. The solution is to make sure the remote does not leave the room that has the WiFi connection and that it doesn't have any IR visibility to another roku device, or you will be controlling two roku devices simultaneously.

I hope this explanation helps someone who also has this problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3

Jump to solution

I have a potential solution for my problem. I've learned that the remotes have both a WiFi connection and an IR emitter. I can pair the WiFi component to an individual roku device, and that connection will work on a single roku. However, the IR component will work on every roku device, and there doesn't appear to be a way to stop that. The solution is to make sure the remote does not leave the room that has the WiFi connection and that it doesn't have any IR visibility to another roku device, or you will be controlling two roku devices simultaneously.

I hope this explanation helps someone who also has this problem.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

A Roku wifi remote paired to a Roku device will only emit wifi roku commands. But if you move the roku remote away from the roku its paired to and no longer communicates with roku itself, then yes the roku remote would revert to IR for roku commands. Same if you were to just unplug the roku power, then remote would switch to IR. So like you said don't move it away from the roku its paired with. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

1. Make sure you have the more expensive WIFI remote.  It will NOT work with the cheaper remote.

2. Unpair all remotes from all TVs

3. Hold down pairing button and pair remote one to TV one.

4. Download Roku app and use the remote in the app.

5.  Using the app pair the second remote to the second TV.  Dont use the physical remote to do this.  You will still have to hit the pairing button on the back of the remote but besides that use the app remote.

6.  Done!

This fixed the issue of the remotes controlling the unwanted device.

0 Kudos