Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lotty
Level 7

Old TLC Roku. Can I get a better remote??

I am extremely new to really using my Roku.  Even though I have owned the tv since 2016.  My tv is TCL 28S3750 28-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2015 Model).  I wanted to get rid of my Xfinity boxes but the remote that came with the tv is so primitive. It would take forever to get around in Xfinity.

I don't know if I can get more options with a different remote or should I start over with a new tv?  Or what would happen if I put a Roku stick into the tv?  Would it upgrade to the newer version?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Chicken
Level 7

Re: Old TLC Roku. Can I get a better remote??

I was able to use an enhanced Roku remote from a Roku 3800 with a Sharp Roku TV, but it was a newer model by a couple years.  I don't see expect there's any advantage over the original remote though, the original remote is probably more reliable and much less expensive to replace but requires line of sight where the enhanced remote uses wifi and costs much more, goes through batteries much, much faster.

Maybe you would do well with a Logitech universal remote, hard to say.

https://codesforuniversalremotes.com/re ... -roku-tvs/
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I assume you want to use the Xfinity app on the Roku, and use the Xfinity remote within the Xfinity app? Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, as Roku apps only take remote codes from the basic navigation keys in the Roku (play, fast forward, ok, Up, Down, Left, Right, Back, Star, A, B, and Ok)..

Besides, your video will probably be degraded and delayed if you use the Xfinity app rather than the cable box. At least it is with Spectrum's app.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
I assume you want to use the Xfinity app on the Roku, and use the Xfinity remote within the Xfinity app? Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, as Roku apps only take remote codes from the basic navigation keys in the Roku (play, fast forward, ok, Up, Down, Left, Right, Back, Star, A, B, and Ok)..

Besides, your video will probably be degraded and delayed if you use the Xfinity app rather than the cable box. At least it is with Spectrum's app.

^ This, well explained!
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lotty We don't currently offer remotes with number keys, but we appreciate the feedback. I'll pass it along to our team! 

@jeffrok  Thanks for the context around remote compatibility! 

However, comparing one channel to another is like comparing apples to oranges. Xfinity Stream and Spectrum are two entirely different channels. I wouldn't necessarily equate one's performance or functional experience with the other. FWIW, I use the Xfinity Stream app at my house on my bedroom TV, and it works great. Experiences will always vary depending on a variety of factors, but I wanted to share mine for contrast. I'd say give it a try and see what you think! 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
lotty
Level 7

I do have a Harmony.  I see that I will always be offered the same results.

I did have lag issues last night using the Xfinity app but that could be TLC network issues?  TV is in the adjoining room from router/modem but has always had a bit of problem networking to Xfinity modem.  I have a booster I use in the room sometimes.

I have a new modem/router ordered because I've always hated the Xfinity box I rent.  My former box would give me network in every corner of our rural yard.  This one gags pretty much at my doorway.

Ok and thanks.  I may end up canceling Xfinity anyhow. 
0 Kudos