Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Txcarol59
Level 7

Old Roku 1 support?

I cancelled my cable to be free of the high bills.  I was given an old Roku 1 with no AC adapter and I thought it would be easy to replace. I have lots of leftover chargers from over the years, but they are too large for the opening.  I have searched for 2 weeks and cannot find any specifications for it, so I don't know what it looks like to get another one.  The official site doesn't seem to have that model anymore.    What type of adapter do I need--otherwise I will have to just throw it away?
Carolyn
0 Kudos
8 Replies
mikebdoss
Level 7

Re: Old Roku 1 support?

"Txcarol59" wrote:
I cancelled my cable to be free of the high bills.  I was given an old Roku 1 with no AC adapter and I thought it would be easy to replace. I have lots of leftover chargers from over the years, but they are too large for the opening.  I have searched for 2 weeks and cannot find any specifications for it, so I don't know what it looks like to get another one.  The official site doesn't seem to have that model anymore.    What type of adapter do I need--otherwise I will have to just throw it away?
Carolyn

Finding the right adaptor is much more than making sure it fits in the hole - you have to get the right voltage too, or it can either not provide enough power, or provide too much. 

That said, you're going to hate the experience with the very old Rokus - most channels won't work well, and some channels won't be available at all. You can get a brand new Roku Express for $30, and other models for $50 or less. I would highly recommend doing that instead of using a very old model. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

What Mike said.. For the time and money you'll spend buying a Roku 1 adapter (they do exist, and I believe are for sale on the Roku site for $10 to $12), you're halfway to a Roku Express, and it's faster and better supported. Or just spend a little more than that and get a Roku Stick. The remote control is nicer (point anywhere and it works, unlike the infrared one with the Express).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

To follow up, if you DO want the adapter, it's int he Roku accessories page..

Part # PW09XB
But it's out of stock.

Maybe eBay has one if you insist on keeping tbe Roku 1.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I have a Roku 1 and it's really not worth spending any money on, mine is horribly slow and it's already starting to lose support from channels, Directv and Youtube tv arent supported, Plex stopped support (although they may have added it back), cant remember about Hulu, point is any money spent on it would be a waste as others have pointed out, you're better off getting the $29 Express (which is what i did).
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"ghb51" wrote:
I have a Roku 1 and it's really not worth spending any money on, mine is horribly slow and it's already starting to lose support from channels, Directv and Youtube tv arent supported, Plex stopped support (although they may have added it back), cant remember about Hulu, point is any money spent on it would be a waste as others have pointed out, you're better off getting the $29 Express (which is what i did).

Are you talking Roku 1 or first generation Roku devices? I thought the Roku 1, which is model 2710, ran most of those apps.

Having said that, mine is stuck in a box on a shelf because I replaced it with something better. I don’t disagree that it’s not an ideal device. I’m just trying to make sure we’re all talking about the same thing.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

"DBDukes" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:

Are you talking Roku 1 or first generation Roku devices? I thought the Roku 1, which is model 2710, ran most of those apps.

Having said that, mine is stuck in a box on a shelf because I replaced it with something better. I don’t disagree that it’s not an ideal device. I’m just trying to make sure we’re all talking about the same thing.

The Roku 1 model 2710, i'm positive it doesn't run Youtube TV and Directv, but it does run Sling (not sure about Playstation Vue), it did run Plex until the latest update a month or so ago, although i think Plex decided to fix it after all the complaints, i can't really remember about any other major apps, at this point mine is relegated to an old 13 inch crt in the garage and only used for Netflix and regular YouTube.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"ghb51" wrote:
"DBDukes" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:

The Roku 1 model 2710, i'm positive it doesn't run Youtube TV and Directv, but it does run Sling (not sure about Playstation Vue), it did run Plex until the latest update a month or so ago, although i think Plex decided to fix it after all the complaints, i can't really remember about any other major apps, at this point mine is relegated to an old 13 inch crt in the garage and only used for Netflix and regular YouTube.

I certainly defer to you regarding those apps. I didn’t recall that many apps being unsupported on any third generation device, but if one of those would be the first to lose the apps, it would be the Roku 1 model 2710.

Thanks for the info.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"ghb51" wrote:

Grabbed my Roku 1 off the shelf. Of course, the ones you stated weren’t supported did not show up. Hulu launches, but not sure about the live TV part. It’s the old interface.

Oh, and It did have a “Get a faster device” offer at the bottom of the Hulu splash screen, so even though supported, it’s just barely. And oh so slow compared to current devices. Even the Roku 2 (4210) runs circles around it. I remember why I stuck it on a shelf now. And will now do again.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos