Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jester7_11
Level 7

OTG cable stops remote working

Is it possible to add a USB drive (of any type) to play back video using ROKU's media player?

I have purchased various OTG cables, which work fine with other devices and media sticks, but when plugged in to my Roku Premiere, even though it boots fine, my remote immediately stops working.

The problem is solved simply by removing the OTG cable. So there seems to be some issue with the Premiere doing anything other than streaming.

Is there a way to connect an OTG that actually enables the Roku remote to work?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
Strega
Level 15

Re: OTG cable stops remote working

As far as I know, an OTG cable is used to convince a normally slave device such as a phone to be the host/master device.  I don't think any Rokus are slave devices to begin with so that doesn't seem to apply to them.

Based on this:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

The Roku Ultra and sound/sreambars play media from USB.

For other models, I believe the USB port is just a common power connector.

0 Kudos
jester7_11
Level 7

I guess I should have just stuck with my Firesticks, which do pick up USB drives via OTG, and you STILL get to use the remote.

So much for giving Roku a go.

Can't even load a VPN on it.

No idea why it comes so highly reviewed when it is so massively limited.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Well, you seem to have some interesting product requirements.  When that's the case, it's usually quickest to do some reading first.  On the other hand, the Roku Express does more than I need it to do so I'm happy with that.  The Nvidia Shield is often recommended for high-end users, and a computer may be better still in some cases.

0 Kudos
jester7_11
Level 7

It's the same requirements asked of my Firesticks (even the lowliest version) and Android media players.

So it would be fair to assume that a competing product in the market, in a similar price bracket, would have similar functionality.

Which this Roku unit does not.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Yep, ASSUMING that one product has the same feature set as some other one is a really common way of getting surprised.  That's right up there with believing everything the sales guy told you.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jester7_11
Level 7

It's not like there is readily available information about this deficiency out there. So how would a potential buyer discover this? They wouldn't. They would presume that a competitive product would, at the very least, be able to do the same as the other products it is competing against in the market place.

Which it should do.

But fails to.

So this forum post may well become the reference point that: the Roku Premiere does not support OTG and is therefore unable to support any external media devices. It is advisable to rather purchase a Firestick, at the same price point, which can.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Well it only took me a couple of seconds to find the link that I gave you above.  When a company has multiple models, they probably have different features.  I don't believe any one of them requires an OTG cable.  Those that say they support USB media just allow you to plug it in directly.  There are also media players that have the "deficiency" of not streaming over the internet - but that's what some people want too.  There are also TVs and "Smart" TVs and "Smart" TVs have different OS's, features, content providers etc.  Even not "Smart" TVs have different features.

At my ISP's support forum, there have been threads pinned to the top for years where people complain about the data cap.  And people routinely appear on the forum and say they had no idea there was a data cap.  Well... it's not like they're actually hiding it.

If you have questions, and can't find an answer, you can ask.  Besides this forum, there are other forums about Roku specifically, streaming, and audio/video in general.

0 Kudos
jester7_11
Level 7

The link offers no specific information regarding OTG or media playback. So it is erroneous.

As for asking questions... I posted this question BECAUSE I couldn't get it answered anywhere else.

Now that it is clear that: Roku DOES NOT WORK WITH OTG and only the units with DEDICATED USB ports seem to allow for media playback from storage devices - maybe someone else asking the question: "does Roku support external devices" can save themselves the expense of finding out and benefit from the knowledge that competitors offer better, more flexible options, for the same money.

That is bound to be useful to someone out there trying to decide on what device to purchase. In my direct "apples for apples" comparison, I say: Firestick.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

Yes it does - right near the top.

Local playback via:  For the premier: Nothing.  For the Ultra: USB. 

I don't do local playback on any streaming device (I do have other media devices that can do that) and I don't have a Roku Ultra.  I've heard of OTG but never used it on any device.  It just searched for: roku feature comparison, clicked on the link that popped up and told you what it said.  If you think it doesn't say that, then you shouldn't be listening to me because I'm only relaying it.

The great thing about streaming devices, is they are so small and so cheap you can have a bunch of them.  My $30 Roku Express sits on top of my $900 blu-ray player and the Roku gets a lot more use!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos