Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

OK button changing Bohm sound bar source

Just bought a Roku Express, able to control it with the included remote, but every time I push the OK button the source on my Bohm sound bar (model BA66000038)  changes. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: OK button changing Bohm sound bar source

Sounds like IR conflict, the roku IR signal for OK is the same or very similar to the SB source key, can't switch IR codes on either, but you can get a wifi remote and pair it to the express, it would no longer use IR, instead it would use wifi. No more conflict. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I tried using a Logitech universal remote, but had the same problem. I also have a Roku Ultra and hitting the OK button on its remote doesn't cause the sound bar source to change. Does that make any sense? I guess I can just shift devices around and use the Ultra with the Bohm sound bar.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Makes perfect sense, the Harmony is using IR just like the Express remote, so you get the same conflict, where the ultra remote is wifi and so it doesn't. If you unplug the power from the ultra, its remote will switch to IR for the roku commands and will then conflict with the sound bar. Get a second wifi remote for the express. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Interesting development. I tried the Roku Ultra and was able to navigate around without any interference, and audio played fine even when I got into Netflix and it played the short previews of each item. But as soon as I selected something to view, the Bohm sound bar muted. That would seem to point to even the wifi remote that comes with the Ultra still uses some IR commands?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Is the ultra remote paired to the roku? Or is it just controlling it by IR? Press a key on the ultra remote as you point at the camera of your cellphone. If you see flashes its IR, if no flashes its set to WIFI. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The remote is paired. I checked and there was no IR signal. I don't suspect the remote now. When checking for the IR signal, I exited back out of the Netflix movie to my Netflix home. As soon as I navigated over to another movie, the preview started playing with audio. I have the audio connected between my TV (Vizio) and the sound bar through an optical connection. That has always worked fine when streaming Netflix through my DVD player. I used the same HDMI connection when experimenting with the Roku Ultra that I use with my DVD player. So somewhere from the Ultra, over HDMI to the TV, then thru the optical connection to the sound bar, I'm losing the audio. The picture displays fine in all cases.

Anyone know if Netflix encodes the audio differently between its previews and the actual movie? I used this same Ultra with a different TV (Sony) and sound bar (Vizio), also over an optical connection, and it works fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I tried our other streaming services. I see the same audio issues when playing a movie/show for Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video. I don't see the issue with YouTubeTV or Hulu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Some where in the middle of this thread you switched symptoms on me, at first you were dealing with the remote key conflicting with another, now you're have audio problems? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@jeffrsummers  Thanks for reaching out. I would recommend turning off '1-touch play' on your Roku Express. This feature will allow your device to change the active input via HDMI CEC. This is likely disabled on your other Roku device already. 

You can see more about this here: https://support.roku.com/article/115008012587-why-does-my-tv-switch-to-a-different-device-when-tryin...

If you have a separate question or issue to discuss, please create a new topic per the Roku Community Guidelines. Each topic should pertain to a single issue. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos