Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikky_1986
Reel Rookie

None of the buttons on the Roku remote are working EXCEPT the power and volume buttons

I'm using a Roku streaming stick and everything was working properly till couple of days back and then suddenly none of the remote button are working except the power and volume buttons which is weird.

Tried factory reset, still no luck.

17 REPLIES 17
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: None of the buttons on the Roku remote are working EXCEPT the power and volume buttons

If the remote wasn't unpaired before it certainly is now, after factory reset the first thing when comes to Roku that can only be controlled via wifi remote is has to be paired before you can go on setting up the roku from scratch. Unplug the power from the stick and then plug it back in, just after it stops bouncing press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartent for 3 seconds and release.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mikky_1986
Reel Rookie

Re: None of the buttons on the Roku remote are working EXCEPT the power and volume buttons

Hi.. Thanks for the response.

I tried doing as you said and the flashing green light in the never stops and also still the buttons dont work.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mikky_1986 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support pages here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Lostandme

I’m having the same issue.  Nothing works except for power and volume even after resetting.  I decided to buy a new stick with new remote thinking the other stick was bad. But after a month, I’m having the same issue again. 

Tivoburkee

Re-pair the remote to the roku, unplug the p[ower from the roku for a bit, plug it back in, when it stops bouncing. Start pressing holding the pairing key in the battery compartment for 5 seconds and release. Allow to communicate with the roku, its alright if the light goes out don't press a thing until you get confirmation its paired. It would say DONE on screen. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
LubbMasheen
Reel Rookie

What's "bouncing?" I unplugged the Roku power cord from the Roku stick, changed the HDMI port, and plugged the power cord micro USB back into the Roku stick. Then I held down the button in the remote battery compartment for 5 seconds. Remote still doesn't work except for the volume and power buttons. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@LubbMasheen, "bouncing" refers to the startup animation you should be seeing on your screen when you connect the power to your stick.  Roku letters bouncing, dancing, or whatever.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Do you have the original long range wifi receiver cable attached? Looks like this:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/usb-power-cable-with-long-range-wifi-receiver

Remote won't work without it. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
desert-son
Reel Rookie

Wow! Same thing happened to me with my stick. Worked fine for a few years, and now only volume and on/off functions work after TV on for an hour or so. Tried re-pairing, restarting. Both work for a few hours. I am restarting every few hours. 

My guess is that it's a quirk with the stick, as nothing else has changed in my set up over the past 2.5 yrs. 

0 Kudos