Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IMGooch
Level 7

No remote and not connected

hello,

I have a bit of a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've searched here and elsewhere quite a bit and can't seem to find an answer.

I am on a vacation and brought my Roku 3 with me but forgot the remote. I was going to use my phone or remoku but the roku is not connecting to my network/internet apparently. I have had it here at this location before and connected wirelessly so it should reconnect but it doesn't. I then tried connecting it directly via ethernet to the router and it still says it isn't connected to the internet and I do not see it as connected to the network in my router connection table. When I had it at home, it was working fine and I had it connected via ethernet. However, I had just recently done that and can't recall if I changed any settings in the thing to use wired or continue with wireless or even if that is necessary.

Does anyone have any idea why it wouldn't connect to this network? Any suggestions on things to try? I'm afraid to do a factory reset because it already should have the wireless login info saved and if I do so, it may default to wireless and ignore if I plug it into ethernet directly anyway without changing settings....which I can't do because I can't control it! Is there perhaps some setting on this router that the roku doesn't like? Does it need a port open? (though that shouldn't affect connecting to the local network...)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
kc8pql
Level 7

Re: No remote and not connected

You need the Roku remote to do the setup. Network remotes like Remoku and phones won't work until the box is connected.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
IMGooch
Level 7

I realize that so I'm trying to get it connected to the network to do so. I do not see any reason why it should not be connected. It has been connected wirelessly to this network before, and if I connect wired, why wouldn't that just work?

Is there any way to connect to it directly like wiring from laptop to roku via ethernet or usb? What about connecting to the wireless connection it has for the remote?
0 Kudos

If you're connecting to a network that is different than the one connected to immediately before, then you need the remote to point it to the new network. It doesn't matter if you've connected to this network previously. It doesn't search and connect to available networks. It will only automatically connect to the most previous network it was connected to. You need the remote to interface with it and point it in the right direction.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"IMGooch" wrote:
I realize that so I'm trying to get it connected to the network to do so. I do not see any reason why it should not be connected. It has been connected wirelessly to this network before, and if I connect wired, why wouldn't that just work?

Is there any way to connect to it directly like wiring from laptop to roku via ethernet or usb? What about connecting to the wireless connection it has for the remote?

If you change networks, you have to set it back up, especially if you go from Ethernet to Wireless or Wireless to Wireless (with different settings) or Wireless to Ethernet. Roku does not switch from Wireless to Ethernet or vice versa automatically, and you have to choose to use the new Wireless connection you are using. If you were going Ethernet to Ethernet, you'd be fine. Never take Roku anywhere without the remote. You can't use Wi-Fi direct with anything but the Roku remote. My recommendation, go get a supported Universal Remote.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

^ +1 a lot of the cheap rca/ge remotes from walmart will work--should say on the box before you buy then once you get your unit going you can switch to phone app etc
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
j_m_
Level 7

OP indicated the Roku was connected via wired ethernet at home, and if so it should work when wired to the router on vacation. Since it is not, then perhaps the Roku was set to wireless at your home after all. If so, another option would be to change the SSID and encryption settings on the vacation router (presuming you have access to it, which it sounds like you do) to exactly match the home router...
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

So,I repeat:
"kc8pql" wrote:
You need (a Roku compatible) remote to do the setup.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
0 Kudos
j_m_
Level 7

"kc8pql" wrote:
So,I repeat:
"kc8pql" wrote:
You need the Roku remote to do the setup.

Setup on the Roku, yes, on the router, no.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

The real answer is you're on vacation. Forget the Roku and go site seeing.You can watch TV when you get home. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos