Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJB123
Level 7

New remote won't pair to Roku 3600X stick

I own several 3600X Roku Sticks and was excited to see that the new "universal" remote was now available as an accessory, and claims to support this model.  ("Works only with Roku Streaming Stick (models 3500, 3600 and 3800) and Roku Streaming Stick+ (model 3810).")

I ordered three of them.  ("Roku® Streaming Stick® Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume Buttons RC127")

I have tried all three on two different Rokus so far.  Each one begins the pairing process, but then fails to complete.  The Roku shows the pairing animation and the remote's pairing light blinks for a few seconds, then stops.  Several seconds later, the pairing animation disappears and the remote does not control the Roku.

I tried pairing through the Platform menu (Home (5x), FF, PP, RW, PP, FF) and got the same result.  When the pairing process begins in this case, it says "Pairing: now..." and the remote's pairing light blinks for a few seconds, then stops again.  Several seconds later, the Roku returns to "Pairing: on (auto)" and the new remote is not listed and does not control the Roku.

I tried power cycling multiple times.  I tried connecting the Roku to a 2.4 GHz wireless network (it's normally on 5 GHz) in case that was an issue.  I tried three different sets of batteries.  Nothing seems to work.

The Rokus are all on software version 8.0.0 build 4128-24.  No other software versions are currently available for upgrade (or downgrade).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
32 Replies
CJB123
Level 7

Re: New remote won't pair to Roku 3600X stick

Since my original post, I have also tried factory resetting one of the Rokus and pairing the new remote on the initial setup screen several times without success.  I tried the original remote next, and it paired on the first try.

From my perspective, it looks like either the new remotes are incompatible with the 3600X or I'm really unlucky and all three remotes are defective.

Has anyone else tried (successfully or unsuccessfully) to pair the new remotes with the previous generation sticks?

Can someone from Roku confirm if these are supposed to work?  Is there a software issue that's causing my problem, or am I doing something wrong?  If there's a software issue, can I expect that it will be fixed in the near future?  I need to know whether to return these or not before the window expires, and I'll keep them if I can get confirmation that an upcoming bug fix will resolve the issue.

I can send my Roku SNs and/or the order number for the remotes to Roku staff directly if needed, just let me know.
0 Kudos
Hoofhearted
Level 7

I can confirm that I have had an identical experience. 
Model: 3600X
Version: 8.0.0 4128-24

Received replacement remote this week.  The pairing graphic appears on screen when the button is pressed on the remote. The graphic runs for a ten to fifteen seconds then selection sound chimes then nothing.

Tried power cycles, batteries, no factory default, and did not seem to be able to access the platform menu mentioned with the app remote.

We have been stuck using the app remote since an over zealous toddler slobbered on the old remote one too many times.  Funny since I joked about just throwing away the stick since a new one is not much more then the remote cost.
0 Kudos
Fundguy1
Level 7

I am having the same problems. I purchased 2 of these remotes for my Roku 3600X’s and I am unable to get either of them to pair with any of my 3 Roku 3600X’s. Roku can you help please?
0 Kudos
fegarciaii
Level 7

Same here.  Just recieved 3 RC127 remotes and won't pair to any of my 3 Roku 3600Xs.  Anyone get this to work?
0 Kudos
fegarciaii
Level 7

Just had a marathon chat session with Roku Support.  They are sending me 3 new remotes as replacements.  I asked the question about compatibility and support said they should work and that the replacement remotes will work.  I’m very scheptical.  Between all of us who commented, how can there be this many bad remotes?  Will see in 3-5 days when they arrive.  Might just end up with 6 bad remotes instead of 3!
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

I'm checking with support.  Hopefully I'll have something to pass on for you guys tomorrow.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Oh, and because I'll probably be asked, can you provide a link to the exact remote you ordered? Smiley Happy

Thanks!
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
CJB123
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Oh, and because I'll probably be asked, can you provide a link to the exact remote you ordered? Smiley Happy

https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes
It's the last one listed on the page.  It's listed as "Roku® Streaming Stick® Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume Buttons RC127" when I add it to the cart.
Roku® Streaming Stick® Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume Buttons
The Roku® Streaming Stick® Voice Remote now gives you the convenience to power up and change the volume on most televisions, control your Roku Streaming Stick and use your voice to search for your favorite shows across 500+ channels. Access your favorites quickly with the channel shortcut buttons.
Works only with Roku Streaming Stick (models 3500, 3600 and 3800) and Roku Streaming Stick+ (model 3810). Does not work with the Roku Streaming Stick (Roku Ready Version).
0 Kudos
fegarciaii
Level 7

Same link for me as just above.  Clearly says both are compatible.  Thanks!!
0 Kudos