Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kattayd87
Level 7

New Roku, remote won't pair. Can't setup

I just got my Roku Express+, and got to the "let's get started" page. Even changed out batteries, did all the unplug reply suggestions and tried pairing it about half a hundred times. It WILL NOT PAIR. And because this is the first time of use, I can't even cheat using a remote app. Has this happened to anyone before? I need real solutions or I will be returning it. The only suggestion I see to 'resolve' it is to buy a new remote which is really pissing me off. I just bought the **bleep** thing. Why would I buy another remote if it's not working right off the bat?!

#remotesucks #rokuexpress+ #garbageremote

4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: New Roku, remote won't pair. Can't setup

Start with new batteries in the remote, I wouldn't depend on the batteries included, especially if you're already having troubles. Make sure during pairing you have line of sight to the roku and not have it buried behind the TV. You get better results, once its pair you csan move it to behind the tv. 

Unplug the roku, plug it back in and when the roku starts to bounce start pressing and holding the pairing button in the battery compartment.  When it stops bouncing, release for a bit and start pressing again, until you get confirmation its paired. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Kattayd87
Level 7

Hey Tivoburkee, unfortunately I have tried, and mentioned most of these in my post above. Different/new batteries, hitting the pairing button having the light go off etc, I have even tried standing right in front of the roku with the remote physically touching the roku, and still will not pair. Also why would I "bury" the roku behind my tv? That makes no sense. It's currently stuck to the top of my TV with literally nothing capable of blocking it.
It will not work what-so-ever, and I will not pay EXTRA money to buy another remote.
Unfortunately I cannot find any CS numbers, and have resorted to twitter, and hopefully will get some feedback from the company soon. OR I'm returning it, because this is ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Many people have their tv's mounted on a wall, then have their roku attached to back out of sight, I know having a tv in the way during programming may lead to troubles. Attacking someone trying to help, why would ANYONE what to help YOU!!

Edmund
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

The Roku Express+ only come with an IR remote. There's nothing to pair. You have to have a clear line of sight between the remote and the Roku, so no hiding the Express behind the TV or some other item. 

Start the camera on a phone or tablet, then point the remote at the camera and press some buttons. If you see a flashing light, then the remote is working. If there's no light seen on the camera screen, then the remote is defective.

The model 3910 was released in October 2017. You certain this is the model you just purchased?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos