Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: New Roku remote control models

"Streams" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:

Just as a "FYI" to everyone, the new Roku Stick has been $40 on Amazon for a while now (it came down from $50 right after I bought it Smiley Sad lol).  For $40, in many cases it makes more sense to just get the new Roku Stick than to buy a separate remote to pair with your older Roku device.

It's back up to $50.

Heh yeah, I ended up getting six of them (especially since Roku doesn't even sell the new remotes separately at this point).  Too bad the new HD Stick remote doesn't have a headphone jack, but I like its shortcut buttons best (it has DTV Now which we use, instead of PS Vue or HBO Now).

I'd bought 3 on Amazon, then later tried to get 3 more but Amazon restricted me to only qty 2 on the second order.  I guess there is/was a limit of 5 per customer?  So I got the 6th on a family member's Amazon account.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"atc98092" wrote:
I don't believe Roku uses anything but CEC for power/volume control. I don't think IR is involved at all.

As the others mentioned, the 2017 Stick/Ultra remotes now have an IR emitter window at the top, whereas previous remotes relied only on HDMI-CEC control of select TV's, as you said.  I think the Roku player gets the brand of the connected TV via CEC, then loads the new remote with the first appropriate IR codeset from its database (and asks you to test).  I'm curious though, has anyone found a TV that's not compatible with Roku's IR database?

Interestingly, the Platform Secret Screen lets you select IR vs CEC, change IR codeset, global region, etc:

Home x 5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF
-> "RF Remote Menu"
-> "IR transmit menu"
-> "Universal IR Menu..." or "Universal CEC Menu..."

Has anyone tried all the options?  What's CapTouch, etc.

P.S.  The 2017 Apple TV 4K's remote also uses auto-programmed IR codes to control the TV volume, but relies on CEC for TV power.  I don't remember if this had been supported with previous Apple TV models or not (my older players are in storage).

"mike1597" wrote:
"robkonz" wrote:
My only complaint right now it that you can not seperate the power and volume. What I mean by that is that if you have an LG TV and a Samsung sound bar. You will only be able to control the Volume or the Power. Not both. I really hope they change this soon. 

Most soundbars have options to sync the TV's IR remote volume with the soundbar.  Have you tried syncing the TV's remote volume to the soundbar and then syncing the Roku remote to the TV sound/power? The Roku remote should then work both the TV and soundbar volume.  Once working then disable the TV's internal speakers.

The "IR Transmit Menu" above also has an option to enable/disable "Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)".  Would this do anything as far as using a separate AVR or soundbar?
Highlighted
Level 10

Another observation:

I've been having multiple (~3) Roku's connected to one TV, in the course of setting up or do testing, rotating them in and out.  Very strangely, sometimes the new Roku remotes would connect to units that they're not paired with, usually temporarily.  Often when I'm switching a unit between Wi-Fi band (5 to 2.4 GHz).  Sometimes when I pick up a remote that hasn't been used in awhile (and might need to wake from sleep).

These Roku's have 1-touch play enabled to switch HDMI input upon activity.  So when I press a button on a remote for the currently active Roku, I sometimes see the TV switch to another input belonging to another Roku, and that remote would register the next few key presses on that second Roku.  But usually after a few secs the remote would re-sync back to the original Roku, and the TV would switch back to the original Roku input.

Perhaps the new Roku's, or the new OS 8.0, allows more permissive remote connection if the pairing takes too long to re-establish?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"beq" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:

Just as a "FYI" to everyone, the new Roku Stick has been $40 on Amazon for a while now (it came down from $50 right after I bought it Smiley Sad lol).  For $40, in many cases it makes more sense to just get the new Roku Stick than to buy a separate remote to pair with your older Roku device.

It's back up to $50.

Heh yeah, I ended up getting six of them (especially since Roku doesn't even sell the new remotes separately at this point).  Too bad the new HD Stick remote doesn't have a headphone jack, but I like its shortcut buttons best (it has DTV Now which we use, instead of PS Vue or HBO Now).

I'd bought 3 on Amazon, then later tried to get 3 more but Amazon restricted me to only qty 2 on the second order.  I guess there is/was a limit of 5 per customer?  So I got the 6th on a family member's Amazon account.

Did you get them on sale for $40?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Roku is now selling the new player remotes (with TV power/volume) as separate accessories:

https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes

I just ordered 3 with the headphone jack (normally bundled with the 2017 Ultra).  With remote lost finder and gaming buttons, too.

They're also selling the one without the headphone jack (from the 2017 Stick/Stick+).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

You can't use the one without the gaming buttons on a Premiere+?

So I have to spend $10 more for two dumb gaming buttons that I'll will never use. Yeah, no thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"Bacon" wrote:
You can't use the one without the gaming buttons on a Premiere+?

So I have to spend $10 more for two dumb gaming buttons that I'll will never use. Yeah, no thanks.

I'm curious too, has anyone tried the combination to confirm?  For example, the headphone jack on the new Ultra remote works fine with the 2017 Stick and Stick+.  But other functions like the lost remote finder don't, that's why this remote isn't sold for the Sticks, presumably?

"Streams" wrote:
Did you get them on sale for $40?

Sorry moved here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 66#p578502
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"beq" wrote:
I've been having multiple (~3) Roku's connected to one TV, in the course of setting up or do testing, rotating them in and out.  Very strangely, sometimes the new Roku remotes would connect to units that they're not paired with, usually temporarily.  Often when I'm switching a unit between Wi-Fi band (5 to 2.4 GHz).  Sometimes when I pick up a remote that hasn't been used in awhile (and might need to wake from sleep).

These Roku's have 1-touch play enabled to switch HDMI input upon activity.  So when I press a button on a remote for the currently active Roku, I sometimes see the TV switch to another input belonging to another Roku, and that remote would register the next few key presses on that second Roku.  But usually after a few secs the remote would re-sync back to the original Roku, and the TV would switch back to the original Roku input.

Perhaps the new Roku's, or the new OS 8.0, allows more permissive remote connection if the pairing takes too long to re-establish?

Another observation:

I had a 2017 Roku player already set up with its enhanced remote (which has both Wi-Fi Direct and IR).  I also had another remote that I just placed batteries in, out of the box, without having it paired to anything yet.  Surprisingly it worked with the Roku right away, but via IR it turns out (since I could block its commands by covering the IR window with my hand).  After I paired it with a different Roku, it then stopped working with the first unit.

It looks like the new enhanced remotes start broadcasting IR Roku commands out of the box, until it's paired with a specific Roku via Wi-Fi.  And perhaps revert back to IR Roku broadcast whenever the Wi-Fi link is disrupted or while waking from sleep.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I have been posting in another thread about this.  My new Stick which came with the remote that controls TV power and volume seems to be controlling the Stick via IR.  When I point it away from the TV or put my hand in front of it it stops controlling the Roku.  When I point it back at the TV I have to press the buttons a few times and then it controls the Roku again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Well with the old remotes, there were IR models that would broadcast commands to any (non-Stick) Roku, and RF (Wi-Fi/BT) models that must be paired to a specific Roku.

The new remotes have both Wi-Fi and IR -- the latter is mainly advertised to control the TV set (with broader support than HDMI CEC), but it makes sense that the IR emitter is also a quick fallback to control the Roku when the Wi-Fi has not been paired or has temporarily lost pairing.

I keep seeing this happening with the new remotes.  A fresh remote out of the box (before any pairing) starts working with Roku's in the vicinity via IR.  After it's paired to a specific Roku and I unplug power from that Roku, the remote falls back to IR mode and again affects other Roku's in the vicinity.  After power management sleep (or when I switch the Roku between 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi band), the remote often flips to IR for just a sec or two before it re-establishes pairing.
0 Kudos