Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: New Roku remote control models

From CNET:

Streaming Stick ($50): The signature addition, a remote that with buttons that control your TV's power and volume, is great. For many people it's easily worth the $20 extra to ditch their TV's remotes (sorry, Sideclick). Some other streamers, including Apple TV, Fire TV, Chromecast and even Roku offer some TV control already, but the new Roku remote is different. Instead of HDMI CEC, a system that depends on your TV's compatibility and can be spotty in my tests, Roku's clicker uses standard infrared (IR) commands, so it should work with just about any television. Roku says setup is easy and codes are beamed to the clicker so you don't have to input them manually. 

The Stick is also the cheapest Roku with voice capability on the remote, another feature not found on the 2016 stick. It works fine for search and adds new capabilities like input switching and natural language (see below), but it's a far cry from Alexa. Roku is not selling the new remote separately.

Some have taken CNET's article to mean that Roku won't be selling these new streaming player enhanced remotes (with the TV power/volume) separately.  Hope not true?

P.S.  Off topic, but I hoped that Roku would also sell replacement Roku TV enhanced remotes, but it looks like this is even less likely...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

And this just proves my point.  The Roku employees can't tell us whether the remote is IR or not so we have to go to Cnet to find out.

Those of us who have been loyal to Roku since the beginning and come to the forum to participate can't even get the common decency to get simple and basic information from Roku, and have to go to 3rd party news companies instead.

It makes no sense.
Highlighted
Level 10

Smiley Sad  Like you I'm waiting for my Amazon orders (2017 Ultra and 4K Stick+) just to test out the remote compatibility situation, so I can make plans accordingly for other family members.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I got my new Ultra today. It does have an IR blaster built into it. My only complaint right now it that you can not seperate the power and volume. What I mean by that is that if you have an LG TV and a Samsung sound bar. You will only be able to control the Volume or the Power. Not both. I really hope they change this soon. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

^ That would be a good improvement.

Anyways I'd tested swapping the bundled remotes between the 2017 Ultra and 4K Stick+ (both running OS 8.0), and the 2016 Ultra, HD Stick, and Roku 3 (all running OS 7.7).

This was a couple of weeks ago so my memory's fuzzy, but ifrecall correctly:

When pairing the 2017 Ultra remote to the 2017 Stick+, the headphone jack worked fine (but not the lost remote finder function, obviously).  Which is good, because if I remember with the 2016 Stick on OS 7, Roku had disabled the ability to use the headphone jack on a remote.

I could also pair the old Roku 3 remote to the 2017 players and the headphone jack also worked fine.

But when pairing any of the 2017 enhanced remotes to the older players still running OS 7.7, the remote's TV power and volume buttons didn't work (here's hoping for the OS 8.0 update).  Furthermore, the 2017 Ultra remote's headphone jack didn't work with older players like the Roku 3, for some reason.

I did run into audio drop-outs using the headphone jack with the remote on 5GHz, but I can make a separate post on that later...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Observation:

I'd set up a Roku (on OS 8.0) and its remote to control the TV power/volume, then paired that Roku to a different remote.  Interestingly, the second remote could automatically control the TV power/volume as well from the get-go.  The Roku unit must sync the IR codes to any new remote pairing.

P.S.  Afterward I'd moved that Roku and remote to a different TV (from Vizio to LG), and was surprised that the remote could likewise control the LG's power/volume without any further set up.  At first I thought the Roku automatically re-programmed the TV IR codes upon detecting (via HDMI-CEC?) a different TV model upon boot-up.  But then I realized that the Vizio and LG TV sets could just as likely share the same IR codes...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

"beq" wrote:
Observation:

I'd set up a Roku (on OS 8.0) and its remote to control the TV power/volume, then paired that Roku to a different remote.  Interestingly, the second remote could automatically control the TV power/volume as well from the get-go.  The Roku unit must sync the IR codes to any new remote pairing.

P.S.  Afterward I'd moved that Roku and remote to a different TV (from Vizio to LG), and was surprised that the remote could likewise control the LG's power/volume without any further set up.  At first I thought the Roku automatically re-programmed the TV IR codes upon detecting (via HDMI-CEC?) a different TV model upon boot-up.  But then I realized that the Vizio and LG TV sets could just as likely share the same IR codes...

I don't believe Roku uses anything but CEC for power/volume control. I don't think IR is involved at all.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
"beq" wrote:
Observation:

I don't believe Roku uses anything but CEC for power/volume control. I don't think IR is involved at all.

The remote that came with my new Roku Stick uses IR to control my Vizio power and volume.  It's easy to tell because the remote has to be pointed at the TV to change the volume.  SInce the Roku remote uses WiFi to control the Roku, I got in the habit of keeping the remote in my lap while sitting on my recliner and it's behind my legs.  It controls the Roku just fine, but to change the volume I have to lift up the remote above my legs so it points at the TV.

Just as a "FYI" to everyone, the new Roku Stick has been $40 on Amazon for a while now (it came down from $50 right after I bought it Smiley Sad lol).  For $40, in many cases it makes more sense to just get the new Roku Stick than to buy a separate remote to pair with your older Roku device.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"robkonz" wrote:
I got my new Ultra today. It does have an IR blaster built into it. My only complaint right now it that you can not seperate the power and volume. What I mean by that is that if you have an LG TV and a Samsung sound bar. You will only be able to control the Volume or the Power. Not both. I really hope they change this soon. 

Most soundbars have options to sync the TV's IR remote volume with the soundbar.  Have you tried syncing the TV's remote volume to the soundbar and then syncing the Roku remote to the TV sound/power? The Roku remote should then work both the TV and soundbar volume.  Once working then disable the TV's internal speakers.
Highlighted
Level 9

"Streams" wrote:

Just as a "FYI" to everyone, the new Roku Stick has been $40 on Amazon for a while now (it came down from $50 right after I bought it Smiley Sad lol).  For $40, in many cases it makes more sense to just get the new Roku Stick than to buy a separate remote to pair with your older Roku device.

It's back up to $50.
0 Kudos