Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beq
Level 8

New Roku remote control models

It was in the news that Roku will start selling a new Wi-Fi Direct remote that looks like the enhanced Roku TV remote (with the addition of a power button on top), but supposedly to be used with the streaming players.  The power button as well as the side volume buttons will supposedly control 3rd party TV's via HDMI-CEC.

ETA?

Can it pair with an actual Roku TV instead (in case we lose/damage the original enhanced TV remote)?  With the power and volume buttons controlling the Roku TV via Wi-Fi instead of HDMI-CEC (just like the original TV remote would)?

P.S.  Certain Roku TV models are sold with an IR (non-enhanced) remote.  Such as the TCL 55" C803 sold at Costco or the 55" P605 sold at Best Buy (which are slightly cheaper versions of the C807 and P607 series that are normally sold with the enhanced Wi-Fi remote).  Can these TV's actually pair with an enhanced Roku TV remote?

0 Kudos
45 Replies
beq
Level 8

Re: New Roku remote control models

Let me consolidate my later posts on the subject:

"beq" wrote:
There are a couple variants of the new enhanced (Wi-Fi) remote with the added TV power and volume buttons.  The 2017 Streaming Stick/+ remote just has the voice search.  Only the 2017 Ultra remote has the headphone jack private listening, remote finder, and gaming buttons.

Will either new remote work with the 2016 Ultra, older Roku 3, etc?

Can the new remote with headphone jack also work with the new SS/+?

When will Roku start selling them as extra accessories?

How do the TV power/volume buttons work?  Continues to rely on the Roku player to send HDMI-CEC commands, or the remote itself sends (auto-programmed) IR codes?  Both methods have been mentioned in the press.

Can the new remotes work with an actual Roku TV?  I assume the factory enhanced remote that comes with a Roku TV performs the TV power and volume controls via a more direct method over Wi-Fi?  Plus it has a mute side button in addition to Vol +/-.


"beq" wrote:
The website pictures of the remote for all the new Roku players show the same 3 out of the 4 shortcut buttons (Netflix, Sling, Hulu, then a variable 4th shortcut based on the Roku model).  Will all the new retail SKUs follow this arrangement, or for example will Best Buy's stock have a different pattern?

Incidentally all the 2017 TCL Roku TV's that I bought have the same first 3 remote shortcut buttons (Netflix, Sling, Hulu), plus Starz.  Even though TCL's website pictures show a different arrangement (Netflix, Sling, HBO Now, Amazon).

Anyways, sure wish we could choose the shortcut buttons that we want.  For example I'd like to get the Streaming Stick+ for travel, but its 4th remote shortcut is PS Vue which we don't use.  We'd like DTV Now instead, which is the 4th shortcut on the remote bundled with the regular Streaming Stick.


FWIW Cord Cutter News says that these new remotes have an IR transmitter to control the TV power/volume (while using Wi-Fi Direct to communicate with the player).  And that all the new players sold at Walmart have Vudu as the 4th remote shortcut button.

I wonder what happens if Roku can't autodetect the TV model and correctly load the IR code, is there a menu to do this manually?


Anyways, Roku customer support doesn't know when these new remotes will be available to buy as extra accessories.

I want several of the new remote that comes with the 2017 Ultra -- would like both TV power/volume and headphone jack private listening.  That is, assuming these functions will work with the 2017 Streaming Stick+ 4K, 2016 Ultra, 2016 Streaming Stick, and older players such as the Roku 3 (after they've been upgraded to Roku OS8)?
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Re: New Roku remote control models

Is there any confirmation that the remote sold with the new Roku Stick will have an IR emitter on it to control TV power and volume?  

Why are we on a Roku forum with Roku employees yet having to speculate things that Cord Cutter News tells us about Roku products?  Do they do it just to infuriate us?  
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: New Roku remote control models

"Streams" wrote:
Is there any confirmation that the remote sold with the new Roku Stick will have an IR emitter on it to control TV power and volume?  

Why are we on a Roku forum with Roku employees yet having to speculate things that Cord Cutter News tells us about Roku products?  Do they do it just to infuriate us?  

Unless I missed something, the remote sold with the new Stick will be able to control TV power and volume IF you have a compatible TV.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Re: New Roku remote control models

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:
Is there any confirmation that the remote sold with the new Roku Stick will have an IR emitter on it to control TV power and volume?  

Why are we on a Roku forum with Roku employees yet having to speculate things that Cord Cutter News tells us about Roku products?  Do they do it just to infuriate us?  

Unless I missed something, the remote sold with the new Stick will be able to control TV power and volume IF you have a compatible TV.

What would constitute a compatible TV?  Will the remote have an IR emitter?  I have seen speculation go both ways, IR or thru HDMI.  No confirmation.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: New Roku remote control models

"Streams" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"Streams" wrote:
Is there any confirmation that the remote sold with the new Roku Stick will have an IR emitter on it to control TV power and volume?  

Why are we on a Roku forum with Roku employees yet having to speculate things that Cord Cutter News tells us about Roku products?  Do they do it just to infuriate us?  

Unless I missed something, the remote sold with the new Stick will be able to control TV power and volume IF you have a compatible TV.

What would constitute a compatible TV?  Will the remote have an IR emitter?  I have seen speculation go both ways, IR or thru HDMI.  No confirmation.

That I'm not sure about.  I have a meeting in about 45 meetings, and if I have time I'll ask.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

Re: New Roku remote control models

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
That I'm not sure about.  I have a meeting in about 45 meetings, and if I have time I'll ask.

I can totally imagine RokuShawnS's meetings...


Shawn: "The guys in the forum..."
BigBossMan: "What do those a-holes want this time!?"


Probably not how it goes, just what runs through my head.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: New Roku remote control models

"twiceover" wrote:
"RokuShawnS" wrote:
That I'm not sure about.  I have a meeting in about 45 meetings, and if I have time I'll ask.

I can totally imagine RokuShawnS's meetings...


Shawn: "The guys in the forum..."
BigBossMan: "What do those a-holes want this time!?"


Probably not how it goes, just what runs through my head.

But he tries, I know that. I sense there are times he's as frustrated as we are. Especially if he knows something but isn't allowed to state it publicly. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: New Roku remote control models

I have an answer, but am awaiting final confirmation from someone, so can't specifically comment yet. As soon as I have it, I'll let you guys know.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Re: New Roku remote control models

"Streams" wrote:
Is there any confirmation that the remote sold with the new Roku Stick will have an IR emitter on it to control TV power and volume? 

Thanks for getting an official answer... let's all put Shawn's feet to the fire (j/k) :mrgreen:

I'm hoping we'll see the new remotes being offered for sale at Roku.com right after Roku OS 8 has rolled out.
0 Kudos