Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teraunus
Level 8

New Roku Ultra (SKU: 4670R) Won't Pair With Remote

Jump to solution

I just recently purchased a Roku Ultra unit and upon receiving it and setting it up, I cannot get the unit to pair with the remote.

I've followed every guide that I can find and the unit will still not pair.

I've removed the batteries from the remote for various time periods (10s, 30s, 1 min, etc) and reinserted and pressed the pairing button for 3s, 5s, and even 10s.

The pairing light flashes green constantly and never connects.

The Roku unit itself functions fine if I use the smartphone app, but I want to use the remote that came with it as well. (so at least everyone else in my household can use it when my phone isn't around)

I've also rebooted the Roku Ultra unit various times with a power disconnect, menu restart, and tried pairing with different processes in the menu. (I've gone to adding devices and tried to add the remote; same issue).

I've used my smartphone camera to see that the remote outputs an IR signal when buttons are pressed and it intermittently sends a signal out during the ever-present "pairing" mode as it never stops flashing green.

I've already swapped batteries with no change.

I'm kinda stuck and wondering if the remote is just defective.

Anyone have any ideas?

The item was purchased brand new and had not been opened before.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: New Roku Ultra (SKU: 4670R) Won't Pair With Remote

Jump to solution

@Teraunus 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps offered on our Support pages here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Teraunus
Level 8

Jump to solution

Count this issue as solved.

I received a replacement unit from Roku Support with the exact same behavior, so I can rule out faulty hardware.

For anyone else that comes across this issue, try taking the unit to another room/part of the house and try to pair it.

-

I continued working on the unit and checked multiple forum posts over 3-4 hours and finally found that apparently the remote pairing process is WiFi-Direct dependent.

I have an access point on the wall in my living room and I guess the signal and frequency (2.4/5Ghz) overpowers the remote enough that it can't pair.

I have to take the entire unit and the remote to a room on the opposite side of the house to pair it. Then when I return the unit to the media center, it works.

Because of this design flaw I've returned the unit and won't continue using the Roku unit.

I'm closing out the ticket with support.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Teraunus 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps offered on our Support pages here:
How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?
How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Teraunus
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've followed all of those instructions to the letter.

I just received a replacement remote today (around 10:50EDT) and I spent the last 30 minutes troubleshooting with the new remote.

I even had both old and new remote on, flashing to sync with the Roku, and no change.

I pulled out an even older remote from a Roku stick and tried that. No change.

No combination of power cycling, sync button pressing, or waiting on the pairing menu has resulted in a single successful pair with a physical remote.

The phone app works, but that's not what I bought the unit for. The app is nice and all, but I want to just sit down and use what I paid for, not have to open an app, connect to the device, then work with a touch screen to control another screen.

I have the Roku Ultra sitting in open air, connected with Power (supplied power brick), HDMI cable, and wired ethernet. My network is a bit more complex than most home setups, but the network should have no effect on the remote talking to the Roku. They are on the same subnet and VLAN.

I believe the remote tries to pair with the unit via IR blast correct? Once it pairs then it probably jumps over to whatever network the Roku uses, or uses a low power Blutooth connection.

Either way, so far, out of 2 brand new remotes, neither pair to the unit.

I've reopened my closed ticket as well.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Teraunus 

Thanks for the update.

At this point, we would recommend continuing to work with out Support team through your ticket as they would best be able to assist you with your issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Teraunus
Level 8

Jump to solution

Count this issue as solved.

I received a replacement unit from Roku Support with the exact same behavior, so I can rule out faulty hardware.

For anyone else that comes across this issue, try taking the unit to another room/part of the house and try to pair it.

-

I continued working on the unit and checked multiple forum posts over 3-4 hours and finally found that apparently the remote pairing process is WiFi-Direct dependent.

I have an access point on the wall in my living room and I guess the signal and frequency (2.4/5Ghz) overpowers the remote enough that it can't pair.

I have to take the entire unit and the remote to a room on the opposite side of the house to pair it. Then when I return the unit to the media center, it works.

Because of this design flaw I've returned the unit and won't continue using the Roku unit.

I'm closing out the ticket with support.

0 Kudos