Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lilcind
Reel Rookie

New Roku Express won’t go beyond language screen.

I have tried all the troubleshooting advice I have seen to include resetting the device, tried 2 new sets of batteries, and the remote is directly in front of the device. There isn’t a pairing button on this remote. Although similar post has been posted I failed to see an actual solution besides taking it back. Unfortunately I can’t locate receipt so I can’t take it back.

8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Express won’t go beyond language screen.

@Lilcind 

Is the remote working? It's an IR remote, so you could take your cellphone camera and look at the end of the remote when you press a button. If there's a light, it's sending an IR signal. If not, there's no IR signal.

And, you are ensuring there is nothing between the end of the remote and the front of the Roku, right? IR is line of sight.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Lilcind
Reel Rookie

There isn’t anything between the remote and the Roku. I’m not seeing a light from the remote when I press a button on it.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Lilcind wrote:

... I’m not seeing a light from the remote when I press a button on it.

If you do not see a light on the remote when looking through your cell phone camera, then it's not transmitting an IR signal. The remote is bad.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Lilcind
Reel Rookie

Thank you.

WDe9

Same here.  Just took it out of the box and can't get past the language screen to set up.  Guess its a trip back to the store.  No lights showing when pressing a button.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @WDe9,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device and the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far to resolve the issue?

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sfkayser
Reel Rookie

I purchased a new Roku Express from Roku online (SN: S008523M8MY0) and received it in the mail on 21 June 2022. This is my 4th Roku device and my second Express. I started the setup per the directions in the box.

Using the remote I started setup, and then successfully selected English as the language and proceeded to the next page. At that point, the remote stopped working. I changed the batteries, disconnected the device, and then started all over. The simple remote does not work. I have been through all of your remote trouble suggestions at the Roku website, but the remote is not sending a signal.

I completed the setup process using the simple remote from the other Express without further issues.  This tells me the device is in view of the remote and the device is working properly.  The remote on my phone app also works. The device is now listed in my Roku account.

When I look at the remote sensor through my phone camera while pressing a button, I see a flashing light on the working remote, but nothing on the new remote.

I find nothing on your website that tells me how to get to customer service on an issue like this. Could someone please direct me to a place that can help me make this remote work or replace it?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@sfkayser

Thanks for reaching out and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos