Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ss32000
Level 7

New Enhanced Remote with Voice Search

I'm currently using the Roku 4, but I'm thinking of moving this device down to my basement to a rack with all my AV equipment. I'm wondering if the new Enhanced Remote is Radio Frequency to the point that I can use this remote for my TV and Roku? I can't seem to find any specifics on if it's IR or RF. 

Also, do many people leave their Rokus on the whole time? I've been using my Harmony Elite remote with the Hub, but the turning off and on is pretty problematic since they don't wifi connectivity when off. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: New Enhanced Remote with Voice Search

I can't answer your other questions, but as far as the Roku 4 being power on all the time, that's the only model that I would not leave on all the time because it has a fan.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ss32000
Level 7

Thanks for the perspective. My concern was that if I'm using my Harmony remote, it's using Wifi for the controls. If the roku is off, how would it get the IP address from my router. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"ss32000" wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. My concern was that if I'm using my Harmony remote, it's using Wifi for the controls. If the roku is off, how would it get the IP address from my router. 

My 4 is on 24/7, but I must have gotten a good one. I never hear the fan, and it doesn't seem to run that hot. But I have my doubts your Harmony can control the Roku over the network. I am pretty sure it will only respond to a Harmony via IR, which requires line of sight. The only remote the Roku will respond to via wireless is the Roku remote. Also, there is no way to power off your 4, other than using something that disables the power supply. Such as a power strip with a switch. There are such things that can be controlled remotely, but cost might start getting unreasonable.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

The Roku remote app will also work anywhere on the same network.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

The Hub will control a Roku via IP (I don't think IR is involved at all and RF definitely isn't), but you still have the issue of the Roku 4 must be on.  I know when people were having issues with their 4s not responding to the remote I was able to awaken mine using Wake-on-LAN, but I always use a wired connection when possible.  I haven't used or updated mine in a while and I never tried it with a Hub I had at one point.

-JT
0 Kudos