Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillQ
Reel Rookie

Neutral Remote

Jump to solution

Are there any Roku remotes that don’t have the pre-assigned buttons for certain services?  My original Roku remote doesn’t ... it just has the navigation controls.  The only thing keeping me from upgrading is that I like that.  I want a neutral remote that doesn’t favor any specific services.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Neutral Remote

Jump to solution

Short answer: no. Roku receives payment for those button placements, so there's no way to reprogram or disable them. Some users have used a small knife, removed the rubber button, and then taped over the opening so debris doesn't get inside. Then it's almost impossible to press one accidentally. 

Now, you can use a 3rd party universal IR remote with any Roku player other than the Stick models. And those won't have any such buttons. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Short answer: no. Roku receives payment for those button placements, so there's no way to reprogram or disable them. Some users have used a small knife, removed the rubber button, and then taped over the opening so debris doesn't get inside. Then it's almost impossible to press one accidentally. 

Now, you can use a 3rd party universal IR remote with any Roku player other than the Stick models. And those won't have any such buttons. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BillQ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks.  I’d suspected as much, but held out the hope there was a high-end ad-free model I’d somehow overlooked.

0 Kudos