Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hahniv
Level 7

Need to use IR remote

Jump to solution

I know the Roku sticks only use RF remotes like the Firestick.  I want to use a Roku box as part of a whole house distribution system.  I have 4 TV all using Harmony remotes.  I need to be able to program the IR codes into the Harmony remotes so that the Roku can be controlled at all 4 Tvs.  I think the Ultra has IR capabilities?  Is this true?  Does the Premier have IR capability?  In other words what Roku models, if any, can be controlled by an IR remote?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Need to use IR remote

Jump to solution

@hahniv wrote:

Wow, thank you for the quick reply.  Great news.  Now next question.  Can you dumb down the 4K boxes to just output 1080P?  That is the capability of the distribution system.  All the Tvs have a separate 4K device.  AppleTV on the main screen and then  Firesticks at all the others.  The purpose of the distribution system is when I want multiple Tvs showing the same thing while moving around the house.  I'm cutting the cord with Dish but I'm under contract till this summer.  They're in a never ending pissing contest with the regional Fox sports network and baseball season is about to begin (hopefully).  I want to install the Roku box into the system so I can run the Fox Sports app (I can use a family members Directv log in) to my Tvs.  Then I'm going to go with YouTube when I can dump Dish.  If the Roku box is spitting out 4K it may not work.

Yes, I originally used my Premiere on a 720p set that accepted 1080p signals. I've since switched that to to a new Ultra, and the Premiere is in my suitcase for travel. I just used it a few weeks ago on a hotel TV without an issue. And you can manually set the resolution, so if 1080 is what you want out, that's what you'll get. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
atc98092

Jump to solution

All Roku players other than the Stick(s) are IR capable. Some, like the latest Premiere, come with an IR remote, but support the WiFi Direct remote as well. Yes, I have the latest Premiere, and it came with an IR remote. 

Dan

0 Kudos
hahniv
Level 7

Jump to solution

Wow, thank you for the quick reply.  Great news.  Now next question.  Can you dumb down the 4K boxes to just output 1080P?  That is the capability of the distribution system.  All the Tvs have a separate 4K device.  AppleTV on the main screen and then  Firesticks at all the others.  The purpose of the distribution system is when I want multiple Tvs showing the same thing while moving around the house.  I'm cutting the cord with Dish but I'm under contract till this summer.  They're in a never ending pissing contest with the regional Fox sports network and baseball season is about to begin (hopefully).  I want to install the Roku box into the system so I can run the Fox Sports app (I can use a family members Directv log in) to my Tvs.  Then I'm going to go with YouTube when I can dump Dish.  If the Roku box is spitting out 4K it may not work.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@hahniv wrote:

Yes, I originally used my Premiere on a 720p set that accepted 1080p signals. I've since switched that to to a new Ultra, and the Premiere is in my suitcase for travel. I just used it a few weeks ago on a hotel TV without an issue. And you can manually set the resolution, so if 1080 is what you want out, that's what you'll get. 

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
hahniv
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks, looks like this is the solution.

0 Kudos