Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vahoss

Re: Need solution for elderly

norcaljohnny  Is it possible to contact me or post this solution somewhere I have a similar need with my mother. 

0 Kudos
drNcott
Reel Rookie

I would love the instructions on how to set up the Roku that way! My dad with Alzheimer's is living with us and I've been searching for a solution for awhile now. Thank you in advance! @norcaljohnny 

0 Kudos
Sta999
Reel Rookie

Did anyone ever receive a response with the information?

thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @drNcott @Sta999

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Sta999
Reel Rookie

My dad is in his mid 80's and does not understand today's technology.

He has difficulty figuring out the arrow-over-to-here, click-center-button, ignore-the stuff-on-the-side, etc.

And opening this 'app', then navigating around in there to select what he wants.

It would be great if there could be a more "streamlined' user interface for the elderly, where you could customize the screen to only show certain items, and be able to "program" an icon to enter a specific app, and navigate automatically to a certain function.

And be able to "scroll" through those specific functions with an 'up/down' button (like the old TV channel changer).

I hope this helps make more sense of the issue.

Thanks for your time!

@norcaljohnny 

Hello, could you please send me the information on how you setup the roku for senior.   That sounds very interesting.    

Thanks

0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Hey everyone, 
I am so sorry for the elapse of time since replying...unfortunately my father passed away after a battle with alzheimer's and dementia.

Anyhow if anyone is still interested, a couple of kudos on this post and I will either provide a download link to the file, post it here or github.

kind regards,

johnny

drNcott
Reel Rookie

Hi Johnny,

I'm so sorry to hear that your father passed away. He was very lucky to have you to get things like the Roku set up to make life easier!

I would very much still like to get the info about the setups you did for Roku. If you wouldn't mind passing them along, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tara

0 Kudos
Sta999
Reel Rookie

@norcaljohnny 

My condolences on the passing of your father. 

Stacie

0 Kudos
trakster
Reel Rookie

My mother-in-law is in a nursing home and Alexa-type devices are not allowed due to HIPPA. Other facilities may have the same rule in place. If they don't, then Alexa would be a good workaround. 

0 Kudos