Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyHagan
Level 7

Need one Roku remote for two co-located TVs

I have two Tvs in my master bathroom and would like to control them with a single Roku Remote. I do desire that the two Tvs have the same visual content (app, screen, etc.).  I do not know which streaming Roku device to buy.  Ideally I would like two separate Roku devices, one  plugged into each TV's HDMI respective port.  Then I would like to turn on/off the Tvs with a single remote.  Additionally, if I change apps to say YouTube TV, Netflix or Amazon Prime I would  like to use a single remote, ideally paired with both Roku streaming devices with a single remote and push of a given button on that remote.

It is not totally necessary to turn on or off both TVs with the supplied Roku remote; I can always use the remote supplied with the TVs.  

I am trying to keep my two Tvs in sync visually and adudio as well.

What should I buy? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Need one Roku remote for two co-located TVs

I would get something that splits the HDMI signal rather than getting two Rokus. You won't get any functionality of syncing Rokus completely together in this way. Keep in mind that some apps won't allow more than 1 stream at a time simultaneously. You're not going to find too many options to do what you want 100%.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
TonyHagan
Level 7

Trekkerri,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. Note that the two TVs are on opposite sides of the bathroom. One is over my vanity and one over my wife’s vanity. Splitting the signal is not appropriate.

There is no stream other than what can be supplied by a roku device, fire stick or antenna. I am planning to pick up the stream via wi-fi through separate rokus controlled by one remote.

Any more ideas?
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

Then I guess you'd want to use one of the Roku Stick models.  They plug directly into the set's HDMI port, and communicate with the remote via RF rather than IR, so you don't have to be careful where you point the remote.  Thus, once the remote is paired to both Roku's (I assume this is possible, and somebody else will have to help you with that) one remote should operate both sticks.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

No guaranty that the audio will be in sync using two separate devices. In fact, odds are they will be noticeably out of sync. I can have two TVs displaying the same OTA channel, and the audio is slightly off, simply due to the different processing in each device. But if you feed both TVs from the same Roku player, using a splitter as mentioned, the audio should be pretty close.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
TonyHagan
Level 7

Atc,

Both TVs are new and identical models. I could easily get by using the volume from one tv only. The picture slightly out of sync would not be a major problem. One Roku device with a splitter to the two tvs would be as they are ceiling mounted on opposite sides of the room. It would create a visual eye sore.

Thanks for your input.
0 Kudos
TonyHagan
Level 7

Malkai,

I will be calling Roku tomorrow to see if it is possible to pair one remote with two identical Roku devices. This will be critical to what I desire to do. Thanks for your input.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"TonyHagan" wrote:
Malkai,

I will be calling Roku tomorrow to see if it is possible to pair one remote with two identical Roku devices.  This will be critical to what I desire to do.  Thanks for your input.

You can pair a remote with only one Roku. However, you can pair multiple remotes to the same Roku. Basically, the opposite of what you're asking is possible, but not specifically what you're asking.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
TonyHagan
Level 7

Malkai,

I chatted with a Roku support analyst today and he confirmed what you have already told me. That is, one remote paired to two TVs- - no. Multiple remotes to same Roku - - yes.

Now, I wonder if it is possible to have a single Harmony 650 controlling the two Roku Devices. I may have to use two icons, one for each TV; but at least I won’t have to put down one remote and pick up another.

Does anyone have any experience with this or some other universal remote?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"TonyHagan" wrote:
Malkai,

I chatted with a Roku support analyst today and he confirmed what you have already told me.  That is, one remote paired to two TVs- - no.  Multiple remotes to same Roku -  - yes.

Now, I wonder if it is possible to have a single Harmony 650 controlling the two Roku Devices.  I may have to use two icons, one for each TV;  but at least I won’t have to put down one remote and pick up another.

Does anyone have any experience with this or some other universal remote?

Universal remotes use IR signals. If the devices are close enough for that, then you could simply use a Roku IR remote. Of course, that means no sticks.

Even though the Premiere/Premiere+ and Ultra devices come with WiFi Direct remotes, they can be controlled by IR remotes. The Express comes with an IR remote. Alternately, you can purchase an IR remote (standard) from Roku. Or, as you mentioned, a universal remote. Again, IR remotes don't work with Sticks.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos