Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnalogKid

Navigating YouTubeTV With Roku Express 4K

We're trying out YouTubeTV through the Roku Express 4K device.  Between the seemingly limited remote functions of Roku and the layout of YouTubeTV, we're have trouble switching between channels in live mode.  It seems so be very cumbersome.  Does anyone have any hints or hacks on how we can better navigate between live channels and other YouTubeTV features with the remote?  Is pairing another remote possible?  Many thanks!

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Navigating YouTubeTV With Roku Express 4K

@AnalogKid wrote:

... Is pairing another remote possible?  Many thanks!

Short answer:
Yes

Long answer:
You said you had an Express 4K. That device comes with a Simple Remote. It's IR only. You did not have to pair it. You just put the batteries in, point it at the Roku, and pressed the buttons.

You can use a Roku Simple Remote on any Roku device, apart from a stick (IR not supported for obvious reasons) or a Roku TV (those use different IR code sets).

You could get a Voice Remote, such as the one that comes with the Express 4k+, which you would have to pair. The good news is that the Express 4K supports the Voice Remote as an option.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@AnalogKid  A Roku is a very simple device. Streaming live tv has no channel numbers. You scroll up or down through the networks. You can customize the networks also to suit your needs so your only seeing the networks you want. It is just a matter of learning how it works. It is not a Roku thing. Here is a link to try and help you. @DBDukes  A voice remote works within the Roku OS but it cannot do anything from with a channel such as YouTube TV or Netflix. It only works using Roku commands. 

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/5-tips-for-youtube-tv-to-flip-live-streaming-channel...

https://michaelsaves.com/streaming/change-youtube-tv-settings/

https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/7452153?hl=en#zippy=

https://www.techhive.com/article/584229/how-to-make-the-most-of-youtube-tv.html

DBDukes

@Streamer317 

I'm fully aware, SpaceTech, how the remotes work. I answered the question regarding if a remote can be paired with that device.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  She wants to know if pairing another remote will help her navigate YouTube TV easier. The answer is no. A voice remote just lets you say commands such as "Launch YouTube TV". But once your watching the YouTube TV channel you cannot say "Go to NBC, fast forward, add to library". Unfortunately when you cut the cord there is a learning curve involved.  That is why I provided helpful links. Have a good day 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Streamer317 

Did you not see there were two questions? And that I answered the second? You may wanna go ahead and get another persona ready. I see this one headed down the path of the others, and soon. 

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  There is not two separate questions. You need to interrupt the question.  AnalogKid is having a difficult time navigating YouTube TV using the Roku remote. They want to know if there is any way to make things easier? Maybe using another remote will make it easier. I was not a separate question. Can they pair another remote? Sure but it will not help them navigate YouTube TV. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Streamer317 wrote:

… Can they pair another remote? Sure but it will not help them navigate YouTube TV. 

Correct. But they can still use two remotes. As you learned once before, sometimes people like to have two remotes. And they can. That’s all I addressed. 

DBDukes

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Streamer317 wrote:

@AnalogKid  A Roku is a very simple device. Streaming live tv has no channel numbers. ..,

DirecTV Stream has numbers. Roku Channel has numbers. Pluto TV has numbers. Now, they aren’t very useful without an on-screen number pad (such as what Comcast streaming app used), but they are there. 

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  DirecTV Stream by default does not have numbers. You can change how you want the guide to look. You can arrange A-Z, Z-A, by favorites, shows, movies, and show channel numbers. But there isn’t anyway to do anything with the channel numbers. Using the Roku remote. The channel numbers are there to help people coming from DirecTV. But there’s actually no point in showing the channel numbers because you can’t input them into your remote. YouTube TV does not have channel numbers. Why? Cause they aren’t needed. People cut the cord and think watching TV is going to be just like watching cable but the truth is it’s not. there’s a learning curve involved. You can’t just punch in a channel number and go to it. You scroll up or scroll down and find the network you want. The great thing about YouTube TV is the guy that’s fully customizable. you can rearrange the networks on how you wanna see them. If there’s only 4 networks you want you can have a guide only show those 4 networks. You can also put your favorite networks on top and the rest of the networks on the bottom. 

0 Kudos