Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarik
Level 7

My remotes go through batteries in two to three days.

I have three remotes and I spend around $80 dollars in batteries a month for several months. This makes it literally more expensive than cable TV. I can't fund any app to replace batteries. Then there is no direct way to get support. I am at the end of the rope with this company.

I am hoping some one here can tell me there is a solution before I return all three Rokus for a refund.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My remotes go through batteries in two to three days.

There is a Roku app for iOS and Android, so there is an option available to replace the remote. The Roku and the phone/tablet must both be on the same network. 

Next question: does your remote have a headphone jack, and if so are you using it? The headphone jack has its own audio amplifier in the remote, and as long as headphones are plugged in the amp is turned on and will drain the batter in a few days.

You didn't state which model Roku devices you have, so I can't say of your remotes are IR or WiFi Direct. IR only remotes should have batteries that last many, many months, if not a full year. But the WiFi remotes should still last a long time if the headphone jack is not used. I probably go 4-5 months with my Ultra 4640 remote. I've only had my 4670 for a little over 2 months, but it's still on its original batteries. 

If you aren't using the headphone jack, then send a private message to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD with your Roku account email address and your Roku model numbers, and they can work with you for a solution.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Tarik
Level 7

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. My remotes do not have a jack for headphones, and in any case we are not using headphones. We are no even using voice control. I can assure you, the trip to the store for batteries is a twice a week endeavor since we acquired these devices.

The apps I found for Roku asks for a credit card and monthly payments. Ain't no way that is going to happen. Is there a link to get the apps directly from you instead of fishing in the app store. 

I tried sending a message to @RokuDanny-R but I cannot tell if it is private or public. So I will refrain from sending identifiers yet.

0 Kudos
Tarik
Level 7

My devices are Roku Premiere+ (3921 series)

0 Kudos
atc98092

The official Roku app can control your devices without any CC info. I just looked at the app on my iPhone, and I see I'm not even logged into my Roku account. I just installed it and use it. I'm wondering if you installed some 3rd party app. 

If you go to Danny's or Tanner's profile, there's a button to send a private message. Just don't post anything personal here in the forum. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Tarik
Level 7

PM sent. Thanks again.
Also How I can tell which app is the official Roku. The knock offs are using same color schemes

0 Kudos
atc98092

As far as the app, at least in the iTunes Store they list the app provider's name, and it should say Roku. My version says 6.2.2.6, so that should match the version number listed in the store. 

Not the first time someone tries to make their app look like the real thing, while they attempt to get you to pay something. I just looked in the Apple App Store, and the official Roku app says Roku and Entertainment to the right of the Roku logo icon. If you view the app details in the store, It lists Roku Inc as the developer. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Tarik
Level 7

Thank you for all your help. You arr awesome.

I hope Roku Staff will pick up on this exchange soon.

I am off to look for the app.

Thanks again

Tarik

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Tarik 

Thanks for the note.

I have followed up with your private message and will continue to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos