Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nprest

My new Roku remote will turn the volume down but not up, any ideas on how to fix this?

I bought a new remote so that I could control the volume but the volume up button all the sudden quit working.  Volume down and mute works.  Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: My new Roku remote will turn the volume down but not up, any ideas on how to fix this?

Hello @Nprest

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

We suggest re-pairing the new remote to your TV to see if that helps. Here are the instructions you can follow: 

1. If your remote uses standard batteries, open the battery compartment and remove the batteries.
  2. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then reconnect the power cable.
  3. Wait until your Roku device displays the home screen.
  4. Restart your remote.
    • Standard batteries: Reinsert the batteries into your remote.
  5. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, try again. If the light still does not flash, charge your remote or replace the batteries.
  6. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.
  7. The remote pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

Visit this Support article for more troubleshooting steps you can try: How do I resolve issues with my Roku® voice remote?

Keep us posted on how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
mm_adee77

Re: My new Roku remote will turn the volume down but not up, any ideas on how to fix this?

@RokuKariza-D  I’m having the same problem. We’ve had the remote for about a year and it was controlling the TV power/volume functions with no issues. Suddenly, the volume function quit working. I have unplugged the Roku device, did a system reset, repaired the remote to the device, and followed the steps to set the remote up for TV control.  The remote is now able to control the volume down and mute functions, but it will not turn the volume up. What’s the deal? Glitch with a recent update maybe???

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@mm_adee77

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found in Settings > System > About. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@mm_adee77 

Remote buttons do give out after so much use, even $500 universal remotes have this problem. They lose conductivity, won't make a circuit. Your only remedy is new remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos