Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beefeater

Multiple tvs on same wall.

I have three tvs with Roku Express 4K on one and possibly Roku Express on the others.  Problem is when I point at one the other tvs respond as well.  How can I set them up to only respond to the remote paired with the tv?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Multiple tvs on same wall.

@Beefeater wrote:

I have three tvs with Roku Express 4K on one and possibly Roku Express on the others.  Problem is when I point at one the other tvs respond as well.  How can I set them up to only respond to the remote paired with the tv?

ALL Roku devices respond to the same set of infrared (IR) commands, so any given IR Roku remote will control all the Roku devices it sees.

Your Express 4K should have come with a wifi remote that must be paired to the Express 4K.  This remote should only control the unit to which it is paired, but the Express 4K itself will still respond to commands from the other IR remotes.  You can prevent the other remotes from controlling this unit by covering over the IR sensor on the front of the unit with opaque tape, or just relocating the unit out of sight.

As for the two Express units, although they came with the simple Roku IR remote, they can also be controlled by a Roku wifi remote you can purchase separately. These are the Voice Remote (replaceable batteries, around $20) and the Voice Remote Pro (rechargeable battery, around $30), available from Roku directly or from many retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc.   Like your Express 4K remote, they will only control the Roku to which they are paired. 

You could get by with only purchasing one Voice Remote for use on the Express you pair it to and continue to use an original IR remote for the remaining Express.  To prevent the Voice-remote-controlled Express from being controlled by the IR remote, cover over its IR receiver or relocate the Roku out of sight.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X