Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Multiple Remotes with one Roku Ultra

We have three Roku Ultras throughout the house, each with a separate remote that controls both that Roku and that TV's power and volume.  All is good: we love the Roku product and service.

I added an HDMI splitter to one of the the Roku's so we can watch TV on the back porch: the bedroom Roku will provide service to both, but we will never watch both at the same time.  Right now, I carry the bedroom Roku remote outside to the back porch and use it to change channels, but have to use the back porch TV's remote for power and volume.  These are two separate different brands and model of TVs, so they have no common codes.

My question (which I have not found answered on the community forums): can I buy a second remote and have it control the bedroom Roku and back porch TV, while the original remote continues to control the bedroom Roku and bedroom TV?  Searches here and on Google seem to indicate that programming the remote for a TV is unique to the Roku and not the remote itself.

6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Multiple Remotes with one Roku Ultra

Yes you can, no problem. If you don't need another remote with a headphone jack, go with the cheaper $19.99 voice remote instead of the Enhanced voice remote which sells for $29.99.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Its the same one sold under streamers but its backordered there, this is in stock. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted

OK - so you now have two remotes with different types of TVs - how do you get the second remote to cover the 2nd TV?  How do you sync them?

I assume that you bring the Roku stick to the 2nd TV, connect it and configure the remote to control the 2nd TV?  When you move the Roku back to the splitter will the first remote still control the 1st TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

wow - so after having roku set up for tv1 (samsung) and remote1 - all worked, moved roku to tv2 and configed remote2 to work w tv2 (vizio) all worked for tv2.  however, now after moving roku back to splitter i still have tv2 working correctly but tv1 is no longer controlled by remote1.  frustrated!  am i to assume that the roku stick controls the tv and can only do one type at a time?  if so, this is pretty lame...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Yes, a roku will only be programmed for one tv brand at a time, sorry. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Tivoburkee - do you realize that this response is the exact opposite to what you posted on 6/12 in response to my original query?  Based on that post I spent $20 on a second remote only to run into the same issue as carlosecarlos04 ... Thanks, pal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

I answered the first question thinking it was dealing with two roku remotes on the same roku, which you can. 

The second question which I didn't realize it was added to the other subject, I took it that you wanted ONE roku programmed to two tv at once, that you can't do. 

So you have two roku remotes, paired to one roku, that roku output is shared with two different tv's. I see no reason why you can't have the two roku remotes control the same roku and different tv's. Do this, using one roku remote go into settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program it for one of the tv's. Exit the settings, play a program for a bit make sure the tv controls work, Then go to Home, put down that remote, go to other room with second tv, do the same settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> now progran the second tv brand. When going from one remote to the next always leave the menu go to home screen first. 

Edmund
0 Kudos