Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abreetz
Level 7

Lost remote

How do I unpair a remote if it has been eaten by my dog. I’ve got the app working so I don’t need a new remote. I just keep having the “searching for remote” saying coming up and I want to get rid of it.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Lost remote

"abreetz" wrote:
How do I unpair a remote if it has been eaten by my dog. I’ve got the app working so I don’t need a new remote. I just keep having the “searching for remote” saying coming up and I want to get rid of it.

Whatever you do, don't do a factory reset. You didn't say which Roku you had (that's always helpful to provide) but if it's searching for a remote, it is expecting to find a WiFi Remote. If that device ever needs to be reset, and you don't have a physical remote (IR or WiFi Direct) you won't be able to set it up. So, be careful.

Next, it seems something else might be happening. When I reboot my Roku and take the batteries out of the remote, it doesn't seek to find it. Maybe it will after long enough time, but if it doesn't doe it after a reboot, I expect it to not do it.

So, if it's trying to find yours, there's something different. The absence of a remote in and of itself won't cause that behavior.

Where is that old remote? Was it damaged and left with the batteries in it? If so, it could be sending a pairing signal if it's close enough. If it's not around, then that's not it. But if it is, take the batteries out.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
abreetz
Level 7

It’s a Roku 4 but the dog completely destroyed the remote. It was in a bunch of pieces batteries out and pieces all over the place. It has since been thrown away so shouldn’t be sending any signals (I’d be surprised if it could have before. Funny thing is when I look at the remote in settings it says there is still 32% on the battery.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"abreetz" wrote:
It’s a Roku 4 but the dog completely destroyed the remote. It was in a bunch of pieces batteries out and pieces all over the place. It has since been thrown away so shouldn’t be sending any signals (I’d be surprised if it could have before. Funny thing is when I look at the remote in settings it says there is still 32% on the battery.

Have you rebooted the Roku? I ask because I took the batteries out of my remote (that should simulate your situation of the remote not being there) and using the phone app, rebooted the Roku. After I did that, I went to the Remote screen on the Roku, and under My Paired Devices, it's empty.

If your is not empty, then are you sure you didn't have another remote for that device at some time in its history?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
abreetz
Level 7

Rebooting worked. Cleared the remote from the device. Thanks!
0 Kudos